wood tannins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodaletrop

Reaction score
Hi there,

First post here :D
Green wood (oak, cheery, etc) has more tannins or less then dried wood? or the same amount?
thanks

Alexam":2cpd9dxg said:
It would help to know your reason for the question, in relation to cutting or painting perhaps?
Malcolm

Im trying to ebonize some green wood and the color its not sticking so well.

Hello,

It is not about the tannins, although they will be about the same wet or dry. Wet wood simply does not have anywhere for the dye or chemicals to go. Once dry, the wood cells will absorb the dye in the place the water once resided.
I think you will have to use some exterior wood stain or similar and basically coat the outside. Cuprinol do all kinds of good colurs, not sur if they do black.

Mike.

woodbrains":hhxyce22 said:
Hello,
It is not about the tannins, although they will be about the same wet or dry.
Mike.
thats answer my question

woodbrains":hhxyce22 said:
Hello,
Wet wood simply does not have anywhere for the dye or chemicals to go.
Mike.

And this clarifies :)

I thought the tannins could be a chemical process when the wood dries.

Thanks

Is this going to be an object that someone will touch - or an outdoor piece or for display only.

If no none is going to touch it then Indian Ink is the best option, it will give a very strong black colour, which does not fade even in strong sunlight.

The tannins are much more mobile in green wood, I don't think there's any less of them. Dry Oak externally doesn't weep so much tannin staining when exposed to rain.

woodaletrop":1x0wewm4 said:
I'm trying to ebonize some green wood...

That's a new one on me!

Ebonizing is commonly a process applied to small "fine" work, made from fruitwoods, in imitation of (obviously) ebony.

About as far from green woodworking as you can reasonably get.

What are you making - I'm intrigued!

BugBear

You can do a fairly rough but informative test between woods by applying the same mixture of Bicarbonate of Soda and watching the colour change - the more tanins a wood has the darker and more aged it will go. A fairly good indicator of what it will look like fumed - and I have a test piece over 2 years old in my workshop that has only got darker over time.

Back