Wood Supply - Sheffield area

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockley

Established Member
Reaction score
The plan is to make a river table as a wedding gift, similar to this https://woodcraft-production-weblin...ib3B0aW0iXV0/ariver1.png?sha=7e7b194a1b5fb238

I want two nicely contrasting woods for the legs and top, to this end I have quite a bit of Cherry which I'm thinking of ebonising to give the legs a dark colour and then waney edge oak for the top.

Couple of questions: after ebonising do you then apply another finish e.g. varnish/Lacquer. I want quite a natural look to the table i.e. not polished and does anyone know of a timber supplier in or around Sheffield who sell waney edge boards. I've been using arnold laver and I'm pretty sure they don't, plus I would like to go and select the piece. Thanks!

I'm in sheffield i have a waney edge piece of London plane you could use perhaps
3 inch thick 20 inch wide and 3ft 6 long from memory
Ian

No idea of anyone round here who does waney edge boards

Oe have a chat with Steve Wright at Elston sawmill, Newark.
He goes to Sheffield woodturning club every 2 months, but not due till 12th October

flh801978":12sditjy said:
I'm in sheffield i have a waney edge piece of London plane you could use perhaps
3 inch thick 20 inch wide and 3ft 6 long from memory
Ian

No idea of anyone round here who does waney edge boards

Any chance of pic? Looking for quite featured edges...

Rockley

Carlton Sawmills at Creswell sell waney edge oak:

carltonwoodmill.co.uk

If you're prepared to travel a bit, British Hardwoods in Keighley might be able to help. I've always found them very accommodating.

I am also looking for hardwood timber suppliers in the Mansfield area,not too far from Sheffield.I would prefer a supplier a little closer.Does anyone have any suggestions,I was wondering where Steve Maskery gets his timber from,but I didn't know if I could contact him directly through this forum,perhaps this is the correct way to go.

kevinlightfoot":2izo1guu said:
I am also looking for hardwood timber suppliers in the Mansfield area,not too far from Sheffield.I would prefer a supplier a little closer.Does anyone have any suggestions,I was wondering where Steve Maskery gets his timber from,but I didn't know if I could contact him directly through this forum,perhaps this is the correct way to go.

What hardwood are you looking for Kevin, anything in particular?

Steve uses the expensive places :lol:

Back