Leadwood Desk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here's another thanks for an excellent thread. Being trained by YouTube I'd never heard of a "rod" in all my many hours of viewing. Makes perfect sense and makes tackling something with angles besides 90 degrees much less daunting.

Using shims rather than the fence on narrower pieces is also good sensible advice. I hope you have shares in perspex as I've just invested in a wider range of thicknesses so I have sheets of the stuff rather than multiple 1mm strips... which gets to be annoying!

Thanks for that Custard. Nice piece well described. What came through most was how your method was tuned to obtaining accuracy at every stage, nothing was done because it was expedient, decisions were based on achieving perfection.

Chris

I've got to get my thanks in as well =D>
Thank you Custard, you answer many questions without us asking them and you've given us all a the chance to see how a methodical approach leads to great success.
Very impressed with how you do it and the desk at the end =D>
Please indulge us again if you get the chance.

custard":2l0y598i said:
The disadvantage is that if I want to use the plan again, but with some amendments, then it's impossible to tape it back down to a sheet of MDF so it's perfectly aligned, I can get close but "close" isn't good enough. Consequently I can't use a T Square for any future plan changes and have to work from the surface of the plan itself using perspex drawing squares. However, taken in the round this is a system that works reasonably well without spending a fortune.

There is an easy way to fix this, even if you don't use the same sized sheet of MDF.

1. use the same SET of MDF sheets you use for the drafting, possibly treat them with something just to be sure.

2. at regular intervals mark out a positioning icon on the MDF sheets which consist of a double ring bullseye with a cross through it, the cross doesn't even have to go right through the exact centre, and they don't even have to be the same per marker. Do it in fineline permanent ink.

3. when doing plans, copy at least 4 of these from the sheet onto the plans.

Alignment should be pretty much spot on after that

No idea if this is a known method, but it's how I would tackle that.

now top finish reading the rest :)

Back