wood storage / stacking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello there shipmates,

I have recently taken delivery of a large quantity of oak, you may have seen such advertised on the ebay, sold by Henry Venables.

I am very pleased with my buy and it should last a long time.

With regard to storage I plan to keep it in my garage, a dry, unventilated space. I have seen pictures of timber stacked with "stickers" between, I hope I have that phrase correct. Can I use any old wood for making the stickers or should I use oak?

I have some offcuts of cheap softwood that would be ideal if cut to equal size and wonder if this would be acceptable. I could also use some old plywood and mdf thats lying around.

Appreciate any advice or guidance.

Cheers Esc.

The idea behind the seprators it allow air to circulate. I have a shed full of beech and elm planks (not mine unfortunately) and they have been seperated by 1" thick batons of any old wood that is to hand.

Pete

I think when you store Oak you have to use Oak batons.
Otherwise anything else can cause a staining,i think. :?
Not sure but seem to remember something along these lines.
I'd check it all for infestation first too.
Paul.J.

Hi Escudo,

Depending on what you mean by a long time in storage and assuming the timber is not damp anything will do.
I use either ply or MDF. make them the same size and place directly beneath one another when stacking, my preference is at 3' intervals.

Dom

Paul.J":1qopap02 said:
I think when you store Oak you have to use Oak batons.
Otherwise anything else can cause a staining,i think. :?
Not sure but seem to remember something along these lines.
I'd check it all for infestation first too.
Paul.J.

As everyone else has said anything will do as bearers for your timber and strapping it will help ventilation.

Paul= I think you are thinking of cherry as I have seen it marked before.

If its inside and the timber is well seasoned I wouldn't bother. Just stack it.

Escudo":mzvxflm2 said:
Hello there shipmates,

I have recently taken delivery of a large quantity of oak, you may have seen such advertised on the ebay, sold by Henry Venables.

Cheers Esc.

I don't believe you :lol: :lol: We need pictures with you sat on it as proof :wink:

Thanks for the wise words mates, Nib I would need scaffolding to climb on that pile. Honest. :wink:

I plan to sort it into various piles and stick it with various offcuts.

It is a feast of wood. I can't imagine all the hours that will go into shaping and fashioning it into items of delight.

Esc.

I've just had a look at the Venables Ebay shop and the prices look very good. I reckon it works out at just over £10/ft^3 for a pallet of european oak. The oak offcut bundles also look like a bargain at around £2/ft^3. What is the quality like, given that you are buying it unseen?

George,

I purchased a pallet of the character grade oak offcuts and I am very pleased with my buy. £250 + vat and £70 + vat for the delivery.

I don't have any experience of buying hardwood but thought that it represented good value. The timber is all about 4 ft long and in various dimensions. I would say my pile is roughly 3ft wide and about 4 1/2ft high, an equal amount of boards and posts. Yes, some pieces (not many) are badly cupped, and split but they can still be used somewhere along the line.

The timber is very sound, no signs of rot or worm, I noticed a little staining on some pieces which appears to be only on the surface.

Whilst this is advertised as offcuts there are some quite substantial pieces amongst the pallet. I can see some wider pieces that could be used for say a table top if joined and sufficient posts for say table legs.

I do not think you would be disappointed if you purchased a pallet.

Hope this helps.

Esc.

Cheers Escudo, it's good to get some feedback before taking the plunge. All I need now is some storage space...oh, and the cash :lol: .

I got a pallet of oak off them a few weeks ago. Good value for money IMO, even though we had to off-load the timber piece by piece from the truck :shock: Apparently most of their trucks have tailgates, it was sods law that I got one that didn't :roll:

There are a few pics here! As you can see I didn't have enough storage in my rack and have had to use part of the bench

Latest posts

Back