Wood storage. Can you check before I buy please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I need to sort a decent wood storage system, I'm done with stepping over wood piled on the floor... My shed is a timber built Dunster House that I was lucky enough to have in the garden when we bought the house a couple of years back.
Don't tell the Mrs but it was one of the reasons we bought the house...
Look she said, a Summer house! Already mentally sharing a nice glass of white wine as the kids played sweetly on the lawn in the fading evening sun and we chatted after a long day at work about Linda from her work and sometimes even Linda's Husband. And all of Linda's problems in facing life without breaking down on a regular basis at my Mrs' work and ....

Yes I said, already establishing in my mind where I was going to hang my tools and sorting the space out. Some determination, stubbornness and moving away from my old area to a new place where I don't know anyone and thus giving up my beloved Local has led to the Mrs gradually giving way in the war of attrition where the big shed went from 'summerhouse' to 'storage' to 'please don't smoke in the storage and there's dust everywhere' to ultimate capitulation and the complete routing of her army. In a victory for all who chase their dreams through gritted teeth the good lass now calls it 'your workshop' It'll always be 'I'm off down me shed' to me. *Fistbump. Get in Son.

So back on track. :-s (sorry)
Spent a coupla days sorting out the shed again. Tired of it. need somewhere to store my growing collection of wood. Done with walking over stuff and trying not to fall over. Then moving it for the seventh time.

https://www.tufferman.co.uk/product-3-s ... 0wod7dwEAQ

Looking at the 5th option. Just under 3m length. 60cm depth. Not a bad price I think?
I don't want shelving attached to the walls at least other than to stop the shelving toppling forward.
Look ok?

Cheers as always
Chris

doesn't seem a bad price. My reservation would be the number of uprights to avoid when putting timber into it.

I have http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/whalen-4 ... ack-333051 and it is excellent. It is a bit cheaper in store- I think that I paid about £150 18 months back, and it hadnt gone up in price 3 months ago when I saw it.

Cheers mate. Always been impressed with what I have seen of Costco gear. My (common law :D) Father in law has a card. Will check it out. It looks very sturdy but a bit of a price hike. I have enough room at the ends to take longer stuff out, but I appreciate your point, it had struck me too. Thanks fella.

it is worth a look- they did another one too, which may be similar to yours. In Leeds, they are set up, so you can feel the sturdiness. I went double eyed looking online, where you wouldn't tell how rigid they were or not.

If it helps I have a load of dexian angle that I used to make a timber rack to sell, seems only right somehow. LOL.

Pretty expensive for shelving? I knocked up some racks from 1 1/4" angle iron for stacking longer lengths. Got some shelving racks too from a shop refit. Got 2 bays with different depth shelves and brackets. I've only a small workshop 16' x 16' So that's 2 walls covered!

Now to fill them with (more) timber! :D

My cheapo solution was to get two builders small scaffolds ( 4x2.5) and add a couple of cross pieces made of wood. It is 6ft tall and holds a ton. Cost me £10 3 yrs ago

My cheapo solution was to get two builders small scaffolds ( 4x2.5) and add a couple of cross pieces made of wood. It is 6ft tall and holds a ton. Cost me £10 3 yrs ago

Hang on, you have a room full of wood that you are fed up tripping over, and a need for shelves to store wood on, and (presumably) lots of tools with which to turn wood into shelves, and youre looking at expensive metal shelving?
What am I missing here?

I lucked out, picked up four wall mounted four tier shelving brackets made from 1" square steel tubing from ebay. Price... 99p :lol:

Terry.

Chrispy":2ad9iu8n said:
If it helps I have a load of dexian angle that I used to make a timber rack to sell, seems only right somehow. LOL.
Ha ha! You're a funny man Chris! :D And 100% right.... Be warned I'm working not far from you for 2 nights. If I can wrangle it i might just swing by on the off chance ya know.... in case you have owt lying about.... :wink:

Thanks Mick and Beech. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Will look into both.

sunnybob":2bkhtqi2 said:
Hang on, you have a room full of wood that you are fed up tripping over, and a need for shelves to store wood on, and (presumably) lots of tools with which to turn wood into shelves, and youre looking at expensive metal shelving?
What am I missing here?
Wood storage shelves made from walnut, cherry and yew
would look lovely Bob.... :D It's a fair point well made. Will consider it. The other advantage will be I won't have any wood to store. Two birds, one stone.

Wizard9999":3ti2te5z said:
I lucked out, picked up four wall mounted four tier shelving brackets made from 1" square steel tubing from ebay. Price... 99p :lol:

Terry.
Just get out Terry. :D

you could buy some pine or cedar or whatever the cheap wood is called, and build racks to put the dear stuff on.
Unless of course you get the dexion cheap.

Dexion, thats a name from the past. I used to live around the corner from the London depot, but that was more than half a century ago now.

Back