Wood Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you use for racking to store your timber?

Does anyone have the Triton Wood Rack? is it any good?

My shed is very untidy, to the point where it becomes dangerous, so looking for a solution.

Ive been rearranging my shop a bit recently and have finally got around to thinking about some racking for timber and veneers. I think i am going to do something like this cheap to make and build and looks pretty strong i wont be bothering with the swing out bit at the bottom.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/racking-my-brain/

cheers

Jon

While the Triton Wood Rack is supposed to be very good and easy to install, I've had a lot of success (as have others) with simple Twinslot Shelving (Toolstation have some of the best prices around and there's bound to be one near you). If you do use this 'system' then, make sure you buy all the parts from the same supplier - I've found that Brackets and Uprights from other sources (possibly Wilkinsons or B&Q - my dad had a load spare) don't fit with the range available from Toolstation (at least, not without lots of filing... :oops:).

5559003717_d6d6e9776d_z.jpg

That photo only gives you an idea; I've since managed to fill the rack completely. The only reason why one of the uprights is shorter than the rest was because I was using some of my dad's left overs, of which he only had the short uprights, meaning I had to butt two ends together.

Wizer famously used this system to store all his turning blanks at one time... Before they all fell off the wall one day with an almighty crash! :-D If you are concerned about overloading them, you could always do what he did next, and replace each screw fixing with a hammer or frame fixing. I've been using 2in screws so far though and my wood's still on the wall. :)

I have used twinslot too. If you use appropriate Fischer fixings, they aren't going anywhere.

Si

I asked the same question a while back and took the advice given to use the same stuff that Olly uses.
workshop%20racking.jpg

Works a treat. If I did anything differently I'd move the verticals a little bit closer as sod's law says that you end up with pieces of shorter timber falling through

I fitted mine with shelves, so you can use it for any lengths of timber you like. Bottom shelf is used for vertical storage of boards, and all shelves are raised-lipped along front edge for strength and to stop stock sliding off.
Will take a photo when I get back home.
Si

I Bought 3 x 1.98m uprights and 12 x 220mm brackets. £31 inc VAT and delivery.

tradesystems.co.uk

Si.

How timely Martin...

I have just finished my new 'rafter wood rack'. My old one was collapsing on me. I just have to demolish the old framing and maybe give the ceiling a coat of emulsion. Then I'll take some pics. It was a struggle, but it's done at last!

Regards
John :D

Benchwayze":32u3opwn said:
How timely Martin...

I have just finished my new 'rafter wood rack'. My old one was collapsing on me. I just have to demolish the old framing and maybe give the ceiling a coat of emulsion. Then I'll take some pics. It was a struggle, but it's done at last!

Regards
John :D
Looking forward to the pics John

Im in the middle of sorting my wood store. It was in the shop before but plan to move it all into a dedicated room.

I plan to use the twin racking system plus I have build some free standing slatted type shelving for the center of the room and slatted shelfs for turning blanks etc. These slats was made from MDF.

Back