• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Wood matching ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I would say Pitch pine or Oragon pine. One of the Victorian church woods. Pitch pine is heavy and tough to cut wood . Good luck.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Good quality red pine when stained would give a similar appearance.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies ...

twothumbs: I did think of pitch pine. Is it reasonably easy to obtain ... I only need a small quantity, but I do need 2" thick.

Dodge: Is 'red pine' what is sold as 'redwood' ? I thought of this, but the stuff I've seen has quite of lot of small, dark knots.

awkwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Its pitch pine
What size do you need? and how much

there is a supplier locally. its all resaw from old mill beams. ive had some beautifull timber over the years.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
awkwood:

Re: pitch pine

I thought it would be the case that the supplies wouldn't be local to me (not much is !).

Don't need that much, probably about 3m x 30cm x 50mm (i.e. 2" thick), and some 1" (not quite sure how much).

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
try salvage yards for pitch pine. Might be a matter of resawing a pew or something.

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
If you fail to find pitch pine then American yellew Pine would be a good match grain wise, bit of a colour problem tho.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Is 'American Yellow Pine' = 'Southern Yellow Pine' ? If so, I had been considering that (as our local 'Champions' has it, but PAR at a ridiculous price).

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes thats the one I ment. I,d be very wary about buying it PAR tho, it does tend to cup after planing so I allways cut to near finished size first then plane up. I have a bit of quite old stock that might do you if you want to have a look. (Wantage)

twothumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Southern Y P will do it if you can stain it down somehow. It is white by comparison. Used quite a bit for stringers.

bosshogg

Established Member
Reaction score
LeeElms":1ugs5iwk said:
awkwood:

Re: pitch pine

I thought it would be the case that the supplies wouldn't be local to me (not much is !).

Don't need that much, probably about 3m x 30cm x 50mm (i.e. 2" thick), and some 1" (not quite sure how much).
Try a local saw mill, especially one that cuts wood from a local estate, I have seen grain like this in many boards destined for timber fencing, worth a go...bosshogg :)

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
T. S. Eliot 8)