Wood matching ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Could someone suggest which species of wood would provide a reasonable match to that shown in the attached pictures ? I'm referring to the grain pattern, not the colour, as it will need to be stained to match.

Attachments

• DSCN1345.JPG
    DSCN1345.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN1350.JPG
    DSCN1350.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN1353.JPG
    DSCN1353.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 127
I would say Pitch pine or Oragon pine. One of the Victorian church woods. Pitch pine is heavy and tough to cut wood . Good luck.

Thanks for the replies ...

twothumbs: I did think of pitch pine. Is it reasonably easy to obtain ... I only need a small quantity, but I do need 2" thick.

Dodge: Is 'red pine' what is sold as 'redwood' ? I thought of this, but the stuff I've seen has quite of lot of small, dark knots.

Its pitch pine
What size do you need? and how much

there is a supplier locally. its all resaw from old mill beams. ive had some beautifull timber over the years.

awkwood:

Re: pitch pine

I thought it would be the case that the supplies wouldn't be local to me (not much is !).

Don't need that much, probably about 3m x 30cm x 50mm (i.e. 2" thick), and some 1" (not quite sure how much).

try salvage yards for pitch pine. Might be a matter of resawing a pew or something.

If you fail to find pitch pine then American yellew Pine would be a good match grain wise, bit of a colour problem tho.

Is 'American Yellow Pine' = 'Southern Yellow Pine' ? If so, I had been considering that (as our local 'Champions' has it, but PAR at a ridiculous price).

Yes thats the one I ment. I,d be very wary about buying it PAR tho, it does tend to cup after planing so I allways cut to near finished size first then plane up. I have a bit of quite old stock that might do you if you want to have a look. (Wantage)

Southern Y P will do it if you can stain it down somehow. It is white by comparison. Used quite a bit for stringers.

LeeElms":1ugs5iwk said:
awkwood:

Re: pitch pine

I thought it would be the case that the supplies wouldn't be local to me (not much is !).

Don't need that much, probably about 3m x 30cm x 50mm (i.e. 2" thick), and some 1" (not quite sure how much).

Try a local saw mill, especially one that cuts wood from a local estate, I have seen grain like this in many boards destined for timber fencing, worth a go...bosshogg :)

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
T. S. Eliot 8)

Back