Wood identification Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be plum looking at it again, it's got that purplish stain in the middle. Candle wax works fine, never had a problem with it falling off. Most bowl blanks you buy commercially will be sealed with it.

Sorry, it doesn't begin with h! It's cherry laurel. And it'll split very quickly,

One of the best id sites for trees, www.stihl.co.uk, follow practical knowledge encyclopedia of trees and have a look at sergeants cherry and cherry laurel

Woodmonkey":1atdrz0a said:
Could be plum looking at it again, it's got that purplish stain in the middle. Candle wax works fine, never had a problem with it falling off. Most bowl blanks you buy commercially will be sealed with it.

That's not candle wax that the commercial blanks are sealed with its paraffin wax. Some candle wax can be used successfully if it is the sort that is in flakes. When you make candles you frequently add stearin to the mix to make the finished candle hard. Melted candles contain this and it doesn't do a good job of sealing end grain because it makes the wax inflexible and doesn't grip the end grain very well. If you have had joy with this method you may well have had access to some low stearin content wax or used the flakes designed for candle makers that have yet to have the stearin added.

I didn't think it was Cherry, no blisters on the bark, a classic cherry feature, plus cherry bark peels thin a bit like birch. Looks large for cherry laurel, but the timber looks correct, it turns nice, has nice colours too, season it well, you should make some nice things with it.

You could use any latex based emulsion paint also. Most people have odd tins of paint left over from decorating. Also if you can get hold of it Knotting solution works well. none of the logs I painted with it have cracked yet and have been in the garden since July.

Just spoke to the supplier of the logs and he says it's Purple cherry plum sometimes called Purple leaf plum.
Anyway thanks for all the input

Regards

Gaz

Its nice wood purple plum, here's a stool I turned from it.

Attachments

• rsz_img_20131108_181518_1.jpg
    rsz_img_20131108_181518_1.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 537
Gone through my wood store and daubed out the Cherry Laurel and rewrote Purple leaf plum over it!!

Back