Wood ID

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wend

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've had some reclaimed stair treads sitting around for a while, and thought I'd try making a simple lyre out of one. That got me wondering what sort of wood they're made of. Has anyone got any thoughts please?

Here's a complete tread:
DSC_0341.jpg
and I cut a bit off the end and planed it a bit:
DSC_0347.JPGDSC_0348.JPGDSC_0349.JPG

Thanks for any insight!
Wend

For joinery, such as this, my guess would be Sapele.

Would be interested to see what sort of lyre you will be making.

Thanks all!
Would be interested to see what sort of lyre you will be making.
I expect I'll make a thread on it at some point, but I don't think it'll be too exciting an instrument. I'm curious to know how it will end up sounding, though!

+1 for iroko, and only judging so from this picture, as I can't see the face grain in the others.
148407-cd1624a9ac631348b84dc404aa3a2e34.jpg

It's very noticeable with iroko's course grain.

Looks like the stain has penetrated about an inch down, but that's likely oil or whatever from the
saw, either way that's a thorough job was done.

Your last picture (of the top side in photo) shows the typical colour one might expect from a paler example.
The side facing the camera has still got stain showing and is a sapelle colour.

DSC_0349.JPG

Great stuff if you can plane it well, i.e use of the cap iron, having two planes for the job and all that.
Horrible to work otherwise, and as mentioned recently prone to give allergies to many,
and a sensitizer at that, see wood toxicity chart.

Just don't be huffing sawdust, fumes from drilling, and/or sweating it out scraping the stuff
(should your workshop be very cozy)

"I just can't get enough of the stuff!" 🙃

Defo Sapele have used this loads fantastic timber mainly use for painted joinery unfortunately but polishes up lovely.
Have loads of old cills in Sapele from my old job.
Still cutting them up now when people what small bits made.

Attachments

• 20230906_180112.jpg
    20230906_180112.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Sapele probably. Another candidate would be Bubinga but that would have been very expensive for a stairs. The grain is a little too coarse for mahogany.

@Wend do you know when the stairs were originally built? That might offer a bit more of a clue. It still looks like Mahogany to me but if it’s a newer property for sure it won’t be. I’ve always thought of Sapele being a wood that became more widely used in the 60’s.

Latest posts

Back