Wood ID!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esqy

Established Member
Reaction score
Tonight I was prepping some pen blanks, and realised that I forgot to write down what some of the woods were when I bought them (Yandles Pick n Mix).

I know the obvious ones:
2 - Zebrano
3- Purpleheart

I think 5 is Paduk, and I think 6 is Wenge, but I put some Wenge behind it, and I dunno... Might just be a less detailed one.

Any hints would be awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_6571.JPG
    IMG_6571.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
no8 is ebony, no1 probably sapele, can't be sure about the others without a 10x zoom of the end grain.

Ahh, 8 was in a box of random pen-making stuff I got on gumtree. Didn't realise Ebony could have a lighter part of it.

I think you're onto something Linus, Looks very like it, although it came up as 'Black Palm' when I googled it - I guess it's another name for it

Pretty sure No.6 is wenge. No.5 could indeed be padauk, but a closer look at the grain (planed down a bit) would help. Both Ebony and African Blackwood have very pale sapwood, so it could be either but I'm leaning towards blackwood as it is often seen in turning blanks.

Iriko is probably right as they did have a load of it in the shop

Given the context, thats likely right as they usually have a fair bit of Paduk in the store

From this thread, and a bit more scouring on the shops site, This is what I reckon:

1 - Sapele
2 - Zebrano
3 - Purple Heart
4 - Walnut
5 - Paduk
6 - Wenge or Black Palm
7 - Iroko
8 - African Blackwood
9 - possibly Knob Thorn

(Yes, I made a juvenile giggle at the last one)

Back