Wood ID / processing questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. A couple of newbie questions...
I buy unprocessed firewood from a farm which has a huge pile of tree fellings in their yard. Sometimes there are quite substantial logs of stuff which seem (to my naive eye) too good to burn. The latest is this:

DSC_0458.jpg

Questions are:
(a) can anyone identify the species from the pic? It seems to be a very dense, hard and close-grained wood.
(b) How does one process the stuff to make planks? It'll have been sitting on the (uncovered) woodpile for 18-24 months according to the farmer. Should I rip into planks, seal the ends and leave it inside for a while? Or something else? I have quite a bit of the stuff, enough for a small project if I can process it properly.
Robin.

Attachments

• DSC_0458.jpg
    DSC_0458.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 76
For an accurate ID a better picture of the grain would help.

If no one here can if it, go post it on arbtalk.co.uk, very knowledgable folks about all things tree.

Edit: Had an epifany. Based on wood colour and bark I'd say sycamore.

What diameter is it? Sycamore generally doesn't get scales and tends to have smooth bark until it gets to a fairly large diameter - generally greater than 30cm.
Some better photos would be good, particularly of the larger pieces

Fitzroy":33lyyd1v said:
If no one here can if it, go post it on arbtalk.co.uk, very knowledgable folks about all things tree.

Edit: Had an epifany. Based on wood colour and bark I'd say sycamore.

And you know on there the first reply will be from Steve asking for a close up of the end grain haha

Latest posts

Back