Wood ID and segmenting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
Two seperate things, but didn't want to start two threads. :roll:

Can anyone tell me what this wood is? It turns like a pine variety, it is quite light and splits easy. reminds me a bit of the conifir I did last year.
newstuff.jpg

And can anyone advise me on a good DVD or site for segmenting? I can manage the basics, but it is the more interesting designs ... but please remember .... this is me! ... noithing too technical!!! :D

I have found that conifer wood stains easily so the darker markings could be just that.

Have a look here for segmented plans and guidelines. May be of use.

Hope this helps

Pete

The bark was green/brown and very rough and with 'knobbely' ridges.
But how big do conifer grow ? I like the patches and knots, just the wood is so soft.
I made a little light from it.
newstuff002.jpg

Still needs a base to house the batteries though.

I have been on this site, I will have to search through it all and see if I can sort myself out! :D

I have that one thanks, but it is just open segments. it is good though. and very simply explained, which what I need :oops: .

I am wanting to see how to put things like circles and ropework on normal closed segment work. I think I've guessed how it is done, but having trouble finding proper info from people who know how it is done. :mrgreen:
I am sure I am not really ready to try anything that ambitious! but why have two feet if if you don't jump in with 'em both? :lol:

Looks a bit like spruce to me. I've turned thousands of things out of spruce, leylandii, Douglas fir, Juniper, cedar, larch, Scots Pine etc and the knotty character with the irregular branches and trunks, colour and grain makes spectacular and very popular objects. If you can hone your skills with the skew chisel you can get a beautiful smooth finish on all the coniferous woods. Many of them smell wonderful as well which the customers like if they are visiting your workshop of if you are demonstrating at shows.

Hi Mrs S.

If you really want to cover the whole lot of segmented work, I can recommend this book. Not saying its the best, there are so many, but it explains all, and takes you through everything to do with segmented work. Also shows you how to work out the sizes of segments using a 'no maths' method, which suites me just fine. :roll:

American author, but most of the best segmented work does seem to come from over the pond.

mrs. sliver":w8pdnwsk said:
Two seperate things, but didn't want to start two threads. :roll:

Can anyone tell me what this wood is? It turns like a pine variety, it is quite light and splits easy. reminds me a bit of the conifir I did last year.
newstuff.jpg

its another species of tear out :D i'd have said larch or spruce - most softwoods are a puppy to turn to a nice finish - it can be done but you have to forget the scrapers and work with a razor sharp gouge - even then i find myself resorting to the 80 grit.

Ciaran forbes (the wood turning monk from glenstal abbey in Ireland) has done a fair bit of softwood forms - mainly monkey puzzzle and maritime pine , but even he has had to resort to filling the tear out with dust and CA

Hi Mrs S
Can highly recommend this software and dvd. I tried the software and ended up registering it (about 20 quid I think)
http://www.segmentedturning.com/DVD.htm
Bill is a very helpful chap and has just setup a Yahoo group for users of his software. This segmented lark does get a hold of you :wink:
Checkout Malcolm Tibbetts site in the states too!
Cheers
Steve

Hi Mrs S

I second Steves comments. I have also bought Bill Kandlers software, I'm about to start my first project. He is very helpful.

Regards,

Mike C

Latest posts

Back