wood i.d. please...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

A friend asked me to make a box for her daughter who has terminal cancer. "Something for her to put her jewellery and bits and bobs in to be passed on to her daughter later in life..." she said. So i made this....

IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

I've already given it to the friend who said the daughter loves it, but i dont know what the wood is..... can anyone help out at all..?

I also gave her a tiny screw top box to put a lock of hair in, and like a fool forgot to get a pic of it. I'll try and get it back and post a pic of that too.

Cheers in advance....

Nick

I've seen this wood allot over the years- its a type of cherry- i'm a 100% sure.
I dont know if i could have made it though knowing its final use-you've done a brillant thing for your friend

The bottom two pictures do look like cherry though I can see the top one as sycamore :lol: Which colour is most accurate?

I, like George, would have had a hard time making this knowing what it was for so hats off to you on both counts, the purpose and the box which looks really excellent.

pete

Wow what an item to make! You've done it well imho.

As for wood, i'm with Pete on the colour. Bottom 2 pics look like cherry, but top pic does look like sycamore.

If i'd just seen the first piccy only - my money would have been on Sycamore ... but the other two do have a 'cherry' esque look ... I did some 'Bird Cherry' once ( heaven knows if there's anything different in that, to 'ordinary cherry' .. ) and it looked very similar to the lower pictures.

Either way, its a great piece, made for an amazingly great reason... and for that alone - it was worth every second you've put into it ,Nick...
Great job. 8) :D

`

here's a couple more pics that may help in the i.d. i reckon the colour 'capture' is fairly spot-on in these (unlike the previous...... sorry about that)

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

the piece of wood on the left of the pic....

Thanks for the comments so far. As i do not know and have never met the daughter i did not get too emotionally involved when making this piece, luckily....

Nick

Not totally sure about the wood type, but the other chaps have given good suggestions. But as others have said not only a great looking piece but a great gesture to your friend, well done!

all the best
HM

I am 99% sure it is a type of cherry. I do not know which one there are so many. The reason i am fairly sure is that a local estate gardener ask me to cut some small boards from a cherry they had to take down. The colour and pinky stripes were identical. I do not think it is bird as they tend to be be covered in small spores looking almost like dots. Does it have any distinctive smell?

Pear tends to be pinkish in colour though the rain can be similar. I must admit the bark doesn't look cherry like but as said there are so many varieties of ornamental and fruiting cherry. Whatever, it's a nice looking wood turned into a nice looking piece for an exceptionally nice reason.

pete

Back