wood help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
If a wood is too dry to turn how do you make it stable enough to turn.

I have been given some wood to make into a toilet roll holder, the base is fine but the long length piece its the problem it just seems to dry our brittle to turn.

It shreds like paper and seems to brittle or dry has had the usual streaks of spolting or planned disease but just cannot turn it at all the density seems to be too soft even though it was a hardwood.

Does not help it may be to thin which compounds the problem as It may be flexing to much as well.
but does anyone know how I can rescue this wood or is it to late to rescue it.

Thanks Tim

Are the tools sharp and the technique correct. I have heard of people saying that dry wood can be hard on the tools but never before that it is un turntable. I wonder whether a bit of flex in the spindle is presenting the tool at a strange angle, or causing the tool to bite/catch.

Turning a brittle wood, I would have expected dust rather than shavings. Then you say it is soft- is it rotten (/dry rot?). Flooding with ca could be an option if it is very soft

Throw the wood away and use a more suitable piece.
If you can turn a clean spindle in pine then that's all that is needed.

No point whatsoever in spending time or chemicals in what would appear to be some rotten or otherwise deteriorated wood.

Latest posts

Back