wood glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had some problems gluing a piece and wondered if anyone knew the shelf life of evo-stik wood glue , I've had this bottle for over a year and wondered if maybe it had gone off , the only other reason I can think of for the glue not working is cold weather, it was in my shed dryingwhile we had some snow, can temperature affect wood glues effect ?

I found a bottle of evo-stik which I had misplaced four years before, used it and it was fine. Cold weather will dramatically extend the drying time and I've also noticed that if it gets very cold it tends to separate and needs a good deal of shaking prior to use. Is there any chance it could have actually frozen at any time? I would imagine that might ruin it. I'm sure that someone will be along soon who knows for sure.

regards,

Simon

Paul,
By Evo-Stick, do you mean the white PVA product or the volatile Contact Adhesive?

If you mean PVA, then one year should be no problem, although the fresher the better.
If you were gluing up in the severe cold, but the glue itself had been kept OK, then it's just your assembly temp that is the problem.

if it is the glue that it has got frosted, throw it away, it is useless, I'm afraid.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Paul,

PVA or Polyvinyl Acetates is a water based glue and if it is allowed to freeze or as Steve says been affected by frost, then you might as well bin it. But from what you have said i think that you should give it more time to dry, and maybe a little more clamp pressure.

Good Luck

Mike

Just wondering, how do you tell if it's been frozen?

I've got 2 bottles which I left in the garage over xmas. Wouldn't want to wait till I have to glue something before I find out they've gone bad.

One was the larges bottle B&Q do :( hope that's not gone bad, only bought it in October.

If it's been frozen,it will generally seperate out into water and the PVA dispersion.

And as already said,it's had it if it get's to that stage.
Same as most acrylic dispersions,it is susceptible to frost,and should always be kept above 5c.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back