wood find right under my nose

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
over the past few weeks I've been making a concerted effort to get my workshop/garage into something that resembles a place of work, rather than a place of dumping. in other words, I'm a messy so and so in my own workspace and as such spend hours looking for things, which is annoying the rubbish out of me.
so I've moved some stuff around, put a rack on the wall for hammers (which is to small, I've found more hammers), chisels (got wise and made it a bit bigger than I needed, now to small, I've found more at the bottom of a tool box), saws, grinders, the usual really. moved the welders out from under the bench and had to cut some of the shelves that were in there when I moved in down to let them get to the wall. which is were the surprise comes in.
of the 6 shelves that hang on cantilevered brackets from the wall, 3 are chipboard and rubbish, the other 3 I assumed where cheap pine lathered in cheap stain and shiney varnish. I had to cut 6" off the end of one yesterday. I can only assume that the scrote that used to live here nicked them from a church, as they appear to be very very straight grained mahogany (granted possibly african mahogany, but I'm not complaining), 8"x1" and something like 8ft long (or a bit shorter now) so those shelves are getting turned in to something else now, better find myself some cheap pine to replace it with. turns out the shelfing is more expensive than my bench, that's depressing. lol

sorry for the long winded post, I felt the need to meander.

Novo.

I use MDF or shuttering ply for shelves (In a garage or shed). Nothing wrong with either, providing shelf supports are close enough together. You can always pretty them a bit, by routing a bull-nose along them; give them some dark stain, if you want to hide what they're made from.

HTH

John .

completely agree with that approach John. intend to shorten whats there and but another metal shelving unit in (I've got a load of it to use up) and more than enough MDF to make shelves for the rest now I've looked in the sheet store (yer, that sounds grander than it is). a quick dig in the scrap bin should yield enough flooring to pretty them up if I want, but as it's a workshop, not a living room, I see no point in doing that.

Back