Wood dye

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerd00

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice, I bought steamed beech doors for the interior of my house, my problem is that the door frames fitted are red deal.

What are your thoughts on putting veneer on the frames, or is there a good wood dye out there that would get my frames as close as possible to my doors. :?:

Tricky! Red deal is a yellowy sort of colour whilst steamed beech is pink so you aren't looking to make the stain too dark. Deal will tend to absorb the stain rather too well and a bit inconsistently (the rings will tend to stand out as much lighter) so you might be best off sanding then sealing the deal (white French polish?) before attempting to lacquer or varnish it with a clear lacquer tinted with the addition of some red mahogany or other red stain. I'd even consider giving the deal a thinned (semi-translucent) coat of white sanding sealer to get nearer the base whitish tone you require. The amount of stain you add to the clear lacquer will need to be miniscule as the depth of colour can be achieved by adding multiple coats. You'll need to ensure that the stain and the finish are compatible (e.g. both spirit-based). Personally I'd probably just paint the dea white with a dash of buff/red added to turn it into a complimentary colour.

If you'd been going darker and tryingh to emulate mahogany or walnut it would have been a lot easier.

Scrit

Frankly I'd rather take out the casings and remake them than try veneering them, partly because there is a rebate in the door casing (on the latch side of the door) where the veneer edge is likely to be caught and damaged. I think you might have difficulries gettin a beech architrave moulding, too.

Scrit

Back