Wood carving - sealing timber before painting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanN

Established Member
Reaction score
I've a relative who is into carving birds, which he then paints. The carved feathers are obviously very fine, and he has problems with the paints being absorbed (bleeding) into the timber. He's looking for a product to seal the timber, but which will not fill/obscure the detailing. Any ideas??

Hi

I don't paint mine and I seal with a thin watered down coat of sanding sealer lightly sanded before waxing.

There was an old guy locally who was a master stickmaker (customers included the Queen, Philip and Charles) and he carved wood as well. He used pyrography decoration and occasional paint and he used to give then a very thin coat of spray on aerosol matt varnish before painting.

There are loads of books available and the american carvers are a wealth of info.

PM me if you can't find what you want and I'll see if I can find some links over the weekend.

Bob

Hi again

latest issue of "wood carving" ( July/August ) arrived last weekend and I've only just had time to open it.

It's exactly what your relative needs as it's a special issue on carving birds. includes a painted kestrel project and others as well as a feature on how to paint and burn feathers.

Mine's on subscription but costs £3.50 off the shelf.

Bob

A thin coat of transeal barrier coat should do the trick. Normally if a customer has a problem with knots that are bleeding there are two choices, Transeal or Multiseal. Transeal is a clear amber solution that is normally used prior to overcoating with a clear finish. Multiseal works in the same way but is white and is mainly used by decorators prior to painting.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ian

Back