Wonky wall conundrum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul200

Established Member
Reaction score
For various reasons we want to install a door in the opening to the extension on the back of our cottage.

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

I'll explain the problem - this was the original back door of the old part of the house, the wall is two feet deep and built of stone - and also out of true! The doorway will need to be built to the left side of the opening with the rest stud and plasterboard.

I've put two strings from corner to corner diagonally and everything is in the same plane. Apart from the fact that the wall to the left is about 2 inches further into the room than the wall to the right :? As far as I can see there are just two solutions - one is to just follow the line of the walls ((diagram 1) and put up with the tiles on the far side looking awful. The other (diagram 2) is to build the studwork on the same plane as the right hand wall and have a 2" recess where it meets the left side, keeping everything square (ish).

Untitled.jpg

I'm not at all sure which method I prefer but just wondered what others would do - or even if there is another solution.

Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,065
In older properties walls aren't always supposed to "line up" this is why we buy them as they have some character
and get away from uniformity and straight lines on newer houses.
But it is you're house to do as you wish.
I would go for option 2, and fit the frame away from the edge on any side, which means you shouldn't have any problems with corner angle beading etc.
Decide if you wish to see an architrave detail, or a quadrant detail on you're "starter wall" and fix a ground of the thickness to do this, and as you say finish off with some studwork to the correct frame opening size.
Also give some thought to the door handing, and which side to hinge.
This will look straight and thought out as some times these jobs can look a real "lash up"
Rodders

blackrodd":2rn1eqs4 said:
In older properties walls aren't always supposed to "line up" this is why we buy them as they have some character
and get away from uniformity and straight lines on newer houses.
But it is you're house to do as you wish.
I would go for option 2, and fit the frame away from the edge on any side, which means you shouldn't have any problems with corner angle beading etc.
Decide if you wish to see an architrave detail, or a quadrant detail on you're "starter wall" and fix a ground of the thickness to do this, and as you say finish off with some studwork to the correct frame opening size.
Also give some thought to the door handing, and which side to hinge.
This will look straight and thought out as some times these jobs can look a real "lash up"
Rodders

Thanks Rodders. We love old houses and do appreciate the wonky walls - I just struggled with this particular problem because I like to do these things properly and didn't want it to look a 'lash up'! I'd sort of come round to the second solution because I need to fix the door lining direct to the left wall and this would cause problems with the architrave if I built the wall on the angle.

The stairs that can be seen in the murk just to the right of the opening are very steep and a multitude of depths and rises. With the help of an architect friend we have managed to design something much less steep and uniform, but in order to build them I need the extra space to the right of the new door. Thanks for your input - it's a great help when you can see your misgivings spelt out for you.

One thing which often spoils old building renovations is straightening things up unnecessarily. You could be removing the very thing which makes old buildings interesting and characterful. Why would the tiles "look awful" if they didn't quite line up with the door? Nobody would notice or give a monkeys.

Jacob":w4qbyl6s said:
One thing which often spoils old building renovations is straightening things up unnecessarily. You could be removing the very thing which makes old buildings interesting and characterful. Why would the tiles "look awful" if they didn't quite line up with the door? Nobody would notice or give a monkeys.

Totally agree - but I would notice every time I went through there. And that side of the door is the newer part of the house and everything is straight and square. Life's full of compromises and I'm trying to find the right one here :wink:

Ha ha, I know your pain. Half the house (well, a third) dates back 500 years and running in there if you are over 5'8" will result in death from head trauma. The other part is building regs compliant new build.

I spend half my time trying to make the new build look less so and the other half trying to introduce the convenience of new build (like cat 5 wiring and plugs in the correct places) to the old part.

It's a losing battle sometimes.

Long ago I gave up on straight hung doors and nice looking floor level transitions...and that's the new build! :)

Wuffles":2fio496h said:
Ha ha, I know your pain. Half the house (well, a third) dates back 500 years and running in there if you are over 5'8" will result in death from head trauma. The other part is building regs compliant new build.

I spend half my time trying to make the new build look less so and the other half trying to introduce the convenience of new build (like cat 5 wiring and plugs in the correct places) to the old part.

It's a losing battle sometimes.

Long ago I gave up on straight hung doors and nice looking floor level transitions...and that's the new build! :)

:lol: Ours is nowhere near that old and, seeing you're in Axbridge, nowhere near as interesting. Given the age you must be close to the town centre, you lucky person you. We moved up here from Somerset almost 18 months ago and know Axbridge quite well. A lovely town.

The oldest part of our house is a 1860 ish 'but 'n ben' (two roomed stone built cottage with sleeping space in the loft), with a 60's kitchen extension and 90's back, front and upwards extension(s). It's challenging but we're getting there (hammer) (hammer)

Back