Wonky tailstock - Normal ? And other novice questions....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11redrex

Reaction score
The tailstock on the SIP 01488 Lathe I just got doesn't sit centrally on the bed, even when it's clamped down it's off centre and still moves around a bit. Is this normal, either for this lathe or any other ?
I'm also looking for another way to hold spindles, apart from having to ram a point into them. Something self centering would be perfect - any suggestions ? It's got an external thread on the headstock spindle which I can;t remember the size of at the moment (3/4 x 16 Tpi ?)
And lastly, anyone know where I can get hold of some hardwood blanks, 1"x1" by 17" ? Can't find anything suitable on google or fleabay.

Hi Red, the tailstock should be sitting central at all times, and should never move when locked down. it is not normal for it to move around on any lathe.

You could make a wooden jam chuck that screws straight onto the spindle thread with a cone shape into which you hold the wood with the tailstock.

If you want specific sizes/types of timber you can either order pre-cut from someone, or buy bulk and cut your own blanks.

Good luck!

11redrex":361yem1y said:
The tailstock on the SIP 01488 Lathe I just got doesn't sit centrally on the bed, even when it's clamped down it's off centre and still moves around a bit. Is this normal,

I'm afraid that this is not unusual for this level of machine, the moving around when clamped is the 'killer' symptom as far as what you intend to use the lathe for. You must investigate why it is not seating well enough to clamp solid, it could lead to accidents when cutting if it moves, it might be that something is distorting the more you tighten it as opposed griping the bed correctly.

They 'good' thing as far as you are concerned with between centres turning is that as long as the headstock and tailstock centres are not wildly out of line you will still turn a true circle and still maintain enough grip with the spur centre to drive it.

..another way to hold spindles, apart from having to ram a point into them. Something self centering would be perfect - any suggestions

A four jaw chuck is the obvious candidate, but expect to pay as much again as your lathe and tools, there are other methods involving faceplates and square socket drives that a regular turner might construct but all are a little exotic for a new starter, and most would require the stock material to be closely prepared for size.

anyone know where I can get hold of some hardwood blanks, 1"x1" by 17" ? Can't find anything suitable on google or fleabay.

It would be normal practice for a turner to produce stock such as this from standard planks or thicker billets of timber bought from a timber merchants, using either a bandsaw or tablesaw.

ok, sussed the "moving when clamped" prolem, stuck a couple of bits of thin rubber on the feet of the tailstock. However it still dosn't sit centrally, as the base of the tailstock is narrower than the gap it drops into. Just badly made I suppose. Makes me wonder though, why bother mass producing something that hasn't been finished properly ?
I suppose I'll just have to be careful lining it up before clamping it down.

11redrex":385pnl6s said:
ok, sussed the "moving when clamped" prolem, stuck a couple of bits of thin rubber on the feet of the tailstock.
I'm not too happy with the rubber solution, it may flex or give whilst cutting between centres and cause your tools to dig in.

I would prefer to see something like fabric backed emery cloth or oxide abrasive used if you can't determine the route cause of the poor locking.

11redrex":385pnl6s said:
Makes me wonder though, why bother mass producing something that hasn't been finished properly ?
Minimal production costs, no size checking required if 'generous clearances' are engineered in.

Try making a wooden 'square washer' to fit over the central locking bolt to position the tailstock nearer the centre line, if this is not possible glue some hard wood strips (oak, beech or similar) to either side of tailstock locating boss with epoxy to hold it more central whilst locking

11redrex":213nmn8z said:
The tailstock on the SIP 01488 Lathe I just got doesn't sit centrally on the bed, even when it's clamped down it's off centre and still moves around a bit. Is this normal, either for this lathe or any other ?

I have a cheap lathe also 'tho not the same make and the tailstock didn't line up with the headstock. I modified the locking arrangement so that I can get it to line up and then lock it down, It's a bit time consuming but at least I get the set up right. The only problem I had with actualy locking down was that it had to be done from underneath. Again I did a fairly simple mod to lock it from the top which is much better.

If you've just bought this from a supplier I'd be tempted to contact them, tell them of the problem and ask them to fix it. It could be that you were unlucky.
If they refuse then you could always ask for a refund claiming that the lathe isn't fit for purpose.

Duncan

The supplier offered a refund after I got through to him what the problem was - he seemed to think there was a part missing but it's just a badly engineered lathe.
I can get the tailstock roughly central before I clamp it down, and have used a couple of wooden wedges to hold it there. Only problem now is, when I need to tighten the live centre, it seems to move upwards, putting the piece off centre again, so I have to do it up pretty tight to start with or it goes all wobbly in the middle. :roll:
I have made a few drumsticks which are straight and even, and with a bit of sanding they even have a nice finish on them. The ramin isn't nearly heavy enough, so I'm on the lookout for some different woods to try.
I got offered 6 pairs of various wood blanks to try, but at £25 delivered it's more than I want to spend. If I get time later today I'm going to try a few of the suppliers on the list here.
I'll have to get some photos sorted of what I've done so far, and update with any further results.

Back