WiZeR's Decking Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok these are the prices I have come up with so far if anyone is interested.

AJ Smith & Son (Benfleet)

IPE
19 x 90 £2.20 pm = £990
21 x 145 Smooth Both Faces £4.10 pm = 1176.70
28 x 145 Smooth Both Faces £4.76 pm = 1366.12

Balau
19 x 90 Grooved One Face £1.60 pm = 720.00
21 x 145 Smooth Both Faces £3.25 pm = 932.00
28 x 145 Smooth Faces £3.86 pm = 1107.82

Decksupply

IPE

19 x 90mm Reeded £2.21 = 994.50
21 x 145mm Smooth £4.37 = 1254.19
28 x 145mm Smooth £5.23 = 1501.01

Balau

19 x 90mm Reeded £1.64 = 738.00
21 x 145mm Smooth £3.16 = 906.92
28 x 145mm Smooth £4.24 = 1216.88

AJ Smith are marginally cheaper. I will prolly be going with them as they have been very helpful on the telephone today and are relatively close. Need to mull over which board I am going to go for tonight. AJ Smith do Balau railing which would be a nice finish to the deck. However IPE is very nice. decisions decisions.

Wizer

I'm assuming that those prices are ex vat.

I paid £3.65(ex vat) per m for 21 x 145 IPE smooth both sides for a similar amount ie 360 linear meters. The source? Travis Perkins. Delivery in 4 days.

On the amount you are talking about, that would save you between £150 and £200.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for that tim. I did have a ring round this morning. Travis Perkins didn't have it at the 2 local centres. They told me that they have never stocked it, but their stocks differ regionally. In the end I have decided to go with Yellow Balua. The reason for this is that we wanted to have a railing system that matched the deck. AJ Smith have been extremely helpful! I am overwhelmed how easy they were to talk to. Their help and support so far has been much appricieated. I made the order today and very kindly (amazingly?) they are going to deliver the joists on Monday. This is great as I took next week off to make a start on the decking and stupidly left ordering the wood til the last minute! AJS have agreed to send on the balau for delivery next Friday. This will give me the weekend to make a good start on installing the railing and covering the deck.

Big thanks so far to all those who have helped me here!

Today, I have been completing one fence and taking down another.
Tomorrow, its time to DIG!

:D

Well 2 extremely hard days of digging. We spent 6hrs yesterday and about the same today digging out rocks, concrete, soil and even lumps of metal. I wish I could get my hands on the cretin that built this house! Generally we are level throughout the deck area. Just need to go back over it with a sprit level and 'rob peter to pay paul' as it were.

It's a shame the digi cam is broken, no pics! :(

Quick Update

I had hoped to keep a daily log of what was going on, but the digicam is dead so I thought it might be a bit dull without some WIP shots. I have ordered a new cam, should be here for the w/e.

Made great progress last week. The frame is built, fences are all in and painted. Had a few setbacks and design changes, but nothing major. Having the 10mm shingle delivered on Friday. Once that's in I can start installing the lights, railing and deck. I have really enjoyed it so far, much more fun than doing the bathroom last yr :sick:

BTW: The Yellow Balau is VERY nice, cant wait to see the end result!

Well I can't wait any longer! The decking is 99.9% finished. Ran out of screws today ](*,)

Needs to be cleaned with the power hose then treated.

Because of camera difficulties, this is the only WIP pic. Bit of a bloody mess!

deck4.jpg

....and this is the end result:

deck2.jpg

deck1.jpg

deck5.jpg

i'm very pleased with. It took a lot longer than expected, but this was mainly due to juggling it with work, other engagements and the missus decorating the living room at the same time :evil: ](*,)

The rest of the garden needs to be re-lawnwed and landscaped but there are no more pennies in the pot to do it this year. Also I need to make some benches, planters etc. Got quit a bit of left over Balau. only about 4 full size planks tho. I would higly recomend AJ Smith and Son of Benfleet. Top service, very friendly, helpful and flexible.

No major mistakes to note. Little niggly problems that have mostly been ironed out. The only design change was the platform around the conservatory. This was a problem solver as the concrete around the conservatory was a mess.

I have really enjoyed this project. We installed a new bathroom and decorated the hall last year and It dragged on for months. I liked it so much, I want to do it again!! 8)

Oooohhhh, but Wizer It is nice, actually very nice :D :D

And i might think that you are currently using it too :wink:

And I think that everybody else is on Philly's birtdayparty, that is why there aren't so many people around :wink:

It looks that you and me aren't invited :roll:

McLuma

Agreed - it looks very good. Congrats: always satisfying to actually finish a project... :)

WiZeR, I'm sure it's brilliant. Trouble is a) I know jack about decking! b) I was waiting for a quiet connection moment to allow the pics to load (kicks dial-up connection for the umpteenth and one time :evil: ). It does look most excellent; will you be holystoning it every morning with a the rest of the Starboard watch*? :D

Cheers, Alf

* A nautical reference best kept for Speak Like a Pirate Day. :oops:

hehe cheers guys.

Spot on McLuma we were out there all day Sat and Sun. All meals were had out there. As we have never been able to use the garden before it was quite an unusual feeling, much like being on holiday.

Alf: As I don't have any children to undertake holystoning duties... it looks like that job will go to me :( :wink: Starboard watch duties will go to the dog who has allready found her own little shaded corner.

wizer you have heard of harry endfields, loads a money character :D well andys his brother loads and loads a money 8) 8) :wink: :wink:

Hi Wizer,

Very nice! I am currently debating with the misses on the subject of smooth or ribbed decking. I am on the side of the smooth and will be showing her your pictures to back my case up. :)

Cheers

Ed

Back