Wixey planer digital readout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
As a follow on from this thread, the Wixey is now installed properly and works really well. I mounted it on some aluminium angle iron (that I trimmed to fit). This helps and I would advise anyone attaching it as I have to do the same - makes it far more accurate. Barry Wixey was very helpful with any questions I asked him - as were this group!

You can read more about the device here - it has more (useful) features than a standard vertical scale: http://www.wixey.com/planer/how/index.html. I paid £32 for the device with free shipping. And £9 customs. Still good value though.

It works just as it should. It's very easy to calibrate - and once calibrated holds true. Its resolution is only to the nearest 0.1mm - but that's good enough I've found so far. Working in fractions is a nice feature too - just switch to inches and when it reaches an exact 1/32th of an inch it shows that value. So nice and easy to set the p/t'er to 7/8" for example.

The INC feature is nice too - just toggle that button and you temporarily zero the display - to take off that final 0.1mm or whatever. Toggle back to ABS and the readout is the exact distance from table to blades again. It doesn't forget this value - but the downside is the battery only lasts 6 months :(.

You can see how I installed it in the pics below. If I was doing it again or with these pics I reckon it'd take an hour to fit. Get yourself a decent M6 tap (I got one from Chronus) - those cheapo' box sets make tapping seem a lot harder than it is!

If anyone is getting one and needs some more details for fitting please let me know.

Attached to my Scheppach HMS260:
IMGP1391.JPG

Frame is attached to some alu angle iron and a hole is tapped in the rod that attaches to the original pointer:
IMGP1381.JPG

In the end I tapped some holes to attach the readout (stationary). Make sure the bolts don't come through the other side (they'll interfere with the rise and fall - believe me ;)!)
IMGP1388.JPG

Close-up of the frame of the digital readout attached to the alu angle iron:
IMGP1386.JPG

Cheers

Gidon

Hi all,

I also bought one of these, it has made a big difference! Recommended!

Delivery was once again quick and ......lucky me I missed customs again.

Works straight out of the tin! Simple and straightforward.

I have bolted mine on an Electra Beckum H330. No problem.

My 2p worth

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back