Wixey Digital Angle Gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ray

Ordered mine 1st October--still waiting delivery. It certainly looks a great piece of kit for the money. Tracked it as leaving Kennedy AMC at 8.42am October 5. Contacted Wixeys as most people here seem to have got theirs in approx 10 days. Barry Wixey replied following day (nice personal touch) and said give it a little more time and if I don't receive it to let him know. Perhaps its in the hands of C&E working out what excise duty they can charge me!

Cheers Con

Hi Ray

Got the card from post office today (will collect Monday), yeah its that excise duty again, £7.70 for an item costing £22, wow!

Cheers Con

Con,

Mine arrived without customs duty or vat. Might be worth double checking the charge.

Below is my understanding of import charges - Not because £7.70 is a lot of cash but I'd hate getting ripped off for charges I should not have to pay :twisted:

Things you could get charged for:

Customs Duty - If this works out less that £7 it should be free
Excise Duty - Charged on special items only like Spirits/tabaco etc
Import VAT - only charged if the intrinsic value is more that £18 ( The value of the item not including postage)

Considering the Customs Duty:

To get the correct duty rate you need to get the commodity code (10 digits) from here: Tariff Classification Service 01702 366077

and give it to these people to get the rate: National Advice Service - 0845 010 9000

On an item valued at £22 you would have to pay 31% duty to exceed £7.
This appears very high as the majority of stuff is usually between 2% and 15%. There is currently a dispute with the states that means an extra 15% gets added to certain goods, but that is mostly clothes.

Anyway if the duty amount is less that £7 you should not have to pay it.

Considering the Import VAT:

You only pay VAT if the INTRINSIC value of the item is £18 or more. The intrinsic value is the value of the item not including shipping and insurance.
The item cost $39.99 inc postage and the postage was $8.50 leaving $31.49 (£16.96).

That might be hard to argue as the customs declaration showed a value of $39.99 - you might want to show your paypal invoice that shows this includes postage so the intrinsic value is £16.96.

The post office also charge a handling fee of I believe £4.00

Just working through the numbers it looks like £4.00 handling fee plus VAT 17.5% on £21.54 giving you £7.77 - which look pretty close to the fugure they want to charge you.

It's always worth working through as it is not unkown for couriers to charge duty and their handling fee when none is due.

Hope that long ramble helps.

Ed

Ordered mine last night says they've run out and won't have any until the 1st Nov. hopefully the're right!

Hi Ed

Thank you for the very detailed information, I am sure it will prove to be very helpful. I too thought £7.70 seemed a little OTT. I will take it up with Customs and if I get anywhere will post it. On the postcard from the PO it shows the amount payable in the payment due box and a tick in There's a Custom charge box--no detail as to what their cost is if any.

Cheers Con

Hi All

Advised Barry Wixey on Saturday pm that I had now had notification to collect mine from the post office. He responded today and said he is pleased that I got it, also that he would welcome any comments or suggestions from users.

Cheers Con

Hi Ed and All

For what it is worth.

Collected my angle gauge from PO sorting office this am.

On my charge for C&E it lists £3.70 import VAT, Royal Mail £4.00 = total £7.70.

Spoke to Customs this morning. As on the customs declaration it gave a total of $39.99 and that the seller had not separated postage costs, import VAT + PO charge was chargeable on that amount. They said providing that I could get from the seller confirmation of postage cost then it may not be liable to any charge (dependent on the amount).
They also said that if it was Post Free (they get a this frequently from the US) then it was subject to the total value on the Customs Declaration. So it looks like I would not be successful in appealing the charge.
I have checked my PAYPAL account and it does not show that it includes Postage. However, I have asked Barry Wixey to let me have the cost of postage so that I can claim back the VAT. He has replied and given me a post cost of $8.50 dolllars.

Cheers Con

Hi Ray

Finally got mine. It is a nice solid piece of kit. Tested on my Fox table saw the blade was 89.9 and on My Makita SCMS was spot on and on my DW1251 was 90.1.

Cheers Con

I thought I'd show off the new digital guage to a pal who was visiting this evening. It gave all sorts of odd readings, none anywhere near 90 or 45. Oh sh** I thought, its gone wrong and it came from the USA so getting it fixed is likely to be a problem. My pal, who builds commercial greenhouses for a living, said it could be the temperature. His laser level goes off if its below 20C. After a few minutes in the kitchen near the AGA it worked fine so there you go!

Received mine last week, no VAT or customs.
Highly recommended, so easy to use on table saw, band saw and the mitre saw - thanks Ray for your recommendation on this.
John

Got mine sans tax!!!! :D :D :D

I also bought the thicknesser unit and magic!!!

Now I see they have brought out the table saw unit -- I also want one!!!! IT seems straightforward to mount.

Cheers

Mine arrived this morning, not had a chance to play yet but it looks and feels well made and heavier than I thought it would be...

Unfortunately I got stung for the £7.70 import duty etc... :evil: it seems to be a complete lottery as to whether you pay this or not!

Lee

Ordered mine on thursday last week, arrived this morning (tuesday), no customs duty.

Works a treat! Really happy with it. Glad i read this thread as i did not know they existed.

Said my mitre saw was 1 degree out and adjusted it easily, now it's spot on!

Well worth it.

My local Parcel Force delivery man says at this time of the year is best to get things through customs without duty for what that is worth.
Barry

Hi to everyone.

New to this forum, being reading the topic about the Wixey Digital Angle Guage, how is it that some of you have bought one and not had to pay vat or customs duty and others have, the reason for asking is because I am thinking of buying one because the guage on my table saw is inaccurate and think that this device is the ansewer to my problem

Mainly luck of the draw! The Tax man can't check the value of every single package which is usually hand written on the Customs sticker. I have no doubt also that if you order stuff regularly, that your details are flagged in the future. Plus the exchange rate of the US Dollar has plummeted against the Pound so the import is now worth less and the total value may well not reach the £18 value (including shipping) to charge Duty and VAT.

All the details are here:

Import Charges

Back