WIP - trug

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beowolf

Established Member
Reaction score
This is slightly below the usual standard on here, but what the hell.

4523099736_7afe7870cd_o.jpg

Fresh from the logpile and split in half. (Does anyone know the wood?)

4522465681_4c758fd914_o.jpg

Planked and thicknessed. (Axe and electric hand planer respectively)

4523099878_32d6074315_o.jpg

My first ever glueup! I trueished the edges two at a time with my only hand plane - a record #5, I think. The boards were vaguely the same thickness, but I intended to flatten them properly after glueing them together. I have a feeling this is backwards, but worked out ok. The inset is a bit of teak for the handle support.

4522465807_8754ff69d1_o.jpg

My first ever dovetail cut and dry fitted.

4523100040_c79bd02b18_o.jpg

The handle support has been shaped and is being glued into the end. You can see how rough the finish was in the glued up end waiting on the right.

4523100172_fe58159abc_o.jpg

A finished end: planed, sanded and oiled. A few gaps around the dovetail were filled with glue and sawdust.

4523100330_08ef9c3e70_o.jpg

Another first: a wedged tenon. (Both the wedge and the tenon)

4523100252_7f62655609_o.jpg

The handle attached to both ends, and the first rail in place.

It was slightly tricky getting the tenons square with that handle. In retrospect I quite like the different heights.

The teak was from some old benches from my local sailing club, the oak handle from the woods nearby, the oak rail from an old set of shelves I've had for the last 15 years, and the wood for the ends was from the logpile.

Now to find enough time to finish it off.

Beowolf":8h5j57da said:
Fresh from the logpile and split in half. (Does anyone know the wood?)

Looking at some of the close up pictures after you had planed it up, I would say that it is beech that has spalted slightly.

Hello, I reckon your wood is Sycamore. Looks like it's going to make a nice little trug to me.
Cheers John

A trug is a broad, shallow, wooden gardener's basket.

Maybe it's not technically a trug, but that's what it'll be used as.

Sycamore: 1
Beech: 1

Any other offers?

Trug making as with many crafts is not wide spread as it used to be. I got a proper trug for Christmas last year and it really is beautifully made and extremly sturdy. Think I'll have it for years! Will post a pic later as it's nicer than the wiki one IMHO.

Well that'll teach me to read a post properly al the way to the end. It might have dawned on me what it was - if only I had realised it wasn't finished :roll: #-o

Hi

hmm not sure what either is , you say straight from the wood pile and split, where from before the wood pile , looks like it been in the sea driftwood imho, look like a lot of the color is gone out of it effect of salt that what it reminds me of. hc

Thanks for the comments. I'll post another pic or two when it's done.

head clansman: I don't think it's been in the sea at all. I collected it from a local allotment where it had been lying for a few years.

WoodAddict: I've used 'raw' wood quite a bit in various items. It's free, and looks good. The Beech/Sycamore notwithstanding.

wizer: Probably heavy for a trug, but not too much in the grand scheme of things. I've since been told it's going to be used as a decorative piece indoors, anyway.

Beowolf":243zszr2 said:
I've since been told it's going to be used as a decorative piece indoors, anyway.

if its going to be used indoors isnt there a danger of the raw wood splitting as it dries out?

Not in our house!

Umm... Good point. If that happens it becomes an experimental piece to try out new techniques and the finished result merely a byproduct of the organic process.

I work next door to an artist - does it show?

The end pieces may well split and cup/bow. While the handle might split, it's my understanding that as it's been left in the round, there aren't any new stresses on it to cause it to warp as it dries. Is this right?

Back