WIP - Moxon Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished!

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

Drawers fitted, runners waxed, fancy cheap metal pulls off eBay fitted, drawer fronts painted, Danish oiled all over (phwoooar) and filled with tools.
It's properly heavy, doesn't shift an inch which is exactly what I wanted. The Moxon vice is superb, grips like a limpet and the perfect height.
It's not the prettiest thing - I made several design decisions on the fly, really must get round to using Sketchup.
All that's left to do is fit a couple of tool holders on the sides for saws etc, make some drawer dividers to stop everything rattling about and drill some dog holes.

Total cost around £260, total work around 60hrs.
It took me at least three times as long to build my (very basic) bench last year so I'm definitely getting better at this woodwork caper!

Thanks for the comments, feel free to leave some more...

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 600
Perfect mix of form and function. I think it looks great fella. Great stuff.

Looks really good. However, from experience of my own drawers fitted below a bench, I guarantee that you'll want something out of your drawers as soon as you clamp something long in the vice!

Funnily enough, I've just noticed that if I want to clamp anything wide I'll have to remove some drawers - the handles get in the way! Another design fault - if I drill dog holes straight through the worktop it means waste will collect in the top drawer...

That looks great, well done that man =D>
Are we to assume the soft focus filter was best left off and the camera shutter firmly closed :lol:
Brilliant anyway.

cowfoot":1qdwk1sh said:
Funnily enough, I've just noticed that if I want to clamp anything wide I'll have to remove some drawers - the handles get in the way! Another design fault - if I drill dog holes straight through the worktop it means waste will collect in the top drawer...

Assuming you don't want to pepper the top with dog holes, could you not attach a section of timber to the underside of the top thick enough to accommodate the dogs minimum depth without extending it all the way to the edges. You could then trim the back of the top drawer so it can still be used without extending the cut all the way to the sides and joints. That way you wont have debris falling through. Replace the handles with flush ring pull types maybe?

cowfoot":ks34z9lj said:

Assuming you don't want to pepper the top with dog holes, could you not attach a section of timber to the underside of the top thick enough to accommodate the dogs minimum depth without extending it all the way to the edges. You could then trim the back of the top drawer so it can still be used without extending the cut all the way to the sides and joints. That way you wont have debris falling through. Replace the handles with flush ring pull types maybe?

here?
here?
here?

I might just drill some blind holes, pretty sure I only need 50mm or so for the Veritas surface clamp. They'll fill up full of gubbins, though.
Flush handles is a good idea, cheers!

Back