Windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMcK

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used the search facility but, to be honest, haven't got the time to wade through the results.

I am about to replace a window sill (possibly the frame as well). I have available oak and chestnut. The finish will be painted to match other windows.

For some reason I am inclined toward the chestnut (dunno why :shock:) but would appreciate any thoughts on either.

Thanks in advance

Both oak and chestnut contain tannin which makes them wet-resistant, so are good for exterior joinery and wine barrels.
Oak's harder, dearer, but easier to find in thick planks.
I've made a lot of oak doors and windows, (currently on a batch of 1o assorted) but it would pain me to paint them - clear varnish by preference

Hi,

chestnut is lighter than oak and arguably more durable. in northern Portugal
it used to be the timber of choice for fine joinery and furniture.

regards,

Cerdeira

Many thanks to both. Probably go with the chestnut. I understand about the painting, Tim, but it's a question of matching the exterior of the building.

I am in the fortunate position of having available, at the moment, a reasonable supply of well seasoned oak or chestnut in 3 to 4 metre lengths 20 x 8 cms in exchange for some computer help. Just hope it continues! :-$

JMcK":r2oz5lc7 said:
I have used the search facility but, to be honest, haven't got the time to wade through the results.

I am about to replace a window sill (possibly the frame as well). I have available oak and chestnut. The finish will be painted to match other windows.

For some reason I am inclined toward the chestnut (dunno why :shock:) but would appreciate any thoughts on either.

Thanks in advance
If the chestnut is sweet chestnut then it is much more rot resistant than almost any other UK wood. 25 years + in soil contact and 100 + out of soil contact, these figurers are for untreated wood.

FWIW all the wood and wire fences are split sweet chestnut.

Latest posts

Back