Windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JFC":2pmkpf55 said:
So would you go as far to say fitting double glazing to an old building is more damaging to the building than beneficial for heat and sound loss ?
If so why are the council inforcing a law that tells us to put double glazed k glass into our houses ?

I would. :evil:
I've installed double glazing in two very old houses now under the impression that it was the bee's knees of heat retention only to be plagued with huge amounts of condensation and the associated mould. And one load of DG was installed in a room with an open fire and we still had condensation.
In our current house, I used to get the DG salesmen asking me if I want the thing and then wonder why I was getting so emotional about it all.

I spoke to two different building control departments today . One said unless im replacing the whole window they are not interested and the other said because i was replacing 100% of the glass it would fall into line with the regs .

JFC":eye58nwu said:
and the other said because i was replacing 100% of the glass it would fall into line with the regs .

So if all the panes get broken by some vandals then you've got to replace your window completely (frame and all) according to the latest regs? Is that the logical interpretation of this little bon mot? If so then it truly beggars belief.

Very good point Roger ! It was my local council that said about the glass aspect :roll: When i mentioned it was a conservation area they said i need to submit full plans !
When i called the council that inforce the area the said they are not interested unless im replacing the whole window and refurbing and updating is fine .
Funny isn't it , the area where the houses are worth 1/2 a million more than mine the council are a little more relaxed :-k

mudman":1ztrg8zx said:
I've installed double glazing in two very old houses now under the impression that it was the bee's knees of heat retention only to be plagued with huge amounts of condensation and the associated mould. And one load of DG was installed in a room with an open fire and we still had condensation.

The "coservatrty" in my current house was installed by the previous owner who swallowed the lies about upvc acessories improving your home's value. I am having the exact same problem with damp and mould, the coservatry is damper than my garage :roll: Its like an oven in summer and a fridge in winter. Its a useless over priced monstrosity and I look forward to the day when it gets removed.

And dgu units fail almost always due to shoddy manufacturing, mostly down to tiny voids (air gap's) left when the edges are sealed with bitumen or 2 pack plastic. You only need a void less than a pin size. Over time damp air is drawn in by the dessicant until its "sodden". Or by using damp dessicant inside the spacer bars in the first place. I worked in a window factroy 5 years I've seen it all :lol: :lol: We once sealed a lads watch inside a unit for a laugh

Back