windows 7 upgrade to professional

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is quite clearly a problem with running some older software on the 64 bit version of Windows 7, but it doesn't need to be a show stopper. As I posted earlier in the thread it is possible to install and integrate a copy of XP into Windows 7 - my link to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/cr ... and-vista/ explains exactly how to do this. Wobblycogs then posted the same information with a useful link to the underlying required piece of software. The only 'downside' is that you need access to an old legitimate copy of XP with installation code - there will be some on here (like me) with old spare copies of XP with installation keys that are no longer used and which could be made available.

When this is installed it fully integrates XP with Windows 7 and the two can work seamlessly together so that the older 'problem' programs will run perfectly - according to the 'how to' link above and vmware the integration is better than the official MS version which is only available to Windows 7 pro and above.

Some will no doubt say that old software should be ditched and new updated versions purchased instead, but if you have an existing version that does what you want then spending extra money for no gain of functionality is painful, especially if you've just paid out for a shiny new computer.

It often surprised my users that needed/wanted a computer that I didn't ask what they wanted for a computer, but asked what they actually wanted to do and then used my skills and knowledge to specify and procure a suitable machine.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back