Willow (?) Any good for turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeroseven

Established Member
Reaction score
Optimized-20170916_183144.jpg

I think this is either Sallow or Goats Willow. Can anybody assist with identification and is it any good for turning?

Thanks

Attachments

• Optimized-20170916_183144.jpg
    Optimized-20170916_183144.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,546
Don't know the specific brand you've got.

I do know that everyone and his wife says willow is poop for turning.

In my very limited experience, there is a lot of truth in what they say - though at my level, free wood is free wood and that means plenty to practice on without panicking about wastage. What it did teach me was that sharp tools and good control are crucial for a good finish. (DAMHIK!!)

And it really is poop to burn, so you may as well turn it and at least have some fun.

Show us how it comes out
Greg

Never turned it myself but I've heard it's like cutting old rope! Look forward to seeing what happens.

Twenty odd years ago I spent 6 long months cutting and burning goat willow from a swamp in North Wales. Chainsawed miles of it. I knew some green wood workers of some standard at the time. Not one of them wanted it when it was offered free. Not sure by any standard this is right but the way I always understood it, the capillary action is excellent at the expense of any decent grain structure for the woodworker at least.

Latest posts

Back