Will Brexit affect companies that import lots like Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we exit fully, then presumably VAT will be charged on every business to business sale coming to the UK (or what's physically left of the Union) from EU member countries. As far as I'm aware, it is not charged across European borders but will be if we leave.

That percentage would in all likelihood be passed on to the retail customer.

It is all guesswork no one knows what will happen, glad we are, out bought time we showed some guts, and stood up for oursekves
Timber

tomatwark":uz7mag9w said:
Anything I buy from an EU country has VAT on it at that countries rate which I claim back through my VAT return.

.???????. I buy goods from Germany for my business and pay for them on a monthly basis and have done so for many years,............They do NOT currently charge me any VAT nor do I pay them any VAT!!!! I assumed this was the case for all business transactions within the EU.......maybe not!

However,.......that will very likely change now we are going to leave the EU.

Vat is always charged at the local rate in the selling country. It could be that the goods you are buying from Germany are vat free in that regime or something like that. What there are not, between EU countries, are duties.

Warning, political comment. No idea how timber prices will change but my daughter's business has already been excluded from a £5000 EU contract as a result of the vote. No doubt the Brexiteers will chip in to compensate.

Sawdust=manglitter":2run08hm said:
I voted remain! I didn't delve too deep into the reality of the conequences of us leaving as I was trying to be positive, but I was so shocked that so many people have voted for us to leave, many just didn't think it through!?

So, only those who voted to remain thought through the consequences. What a load of patronising b***************s.

Sawdust=manglitter":1iqz2r1b said:
Sorry guys, regardless on my opinions I genuinely just wanted to get people's take on how it may affect us as a woodworker, in particular with future large-ish purchases (I have some in mind)... I didn't want it to turn into a bit of a peeing contest. But thank you for the info just the same

Here here =D> Can we please try to stick to the realities of how the referendum is affecting the costs of imports etc?

Well I can't speak for woodworking, but I've already seen a number of price rises from American companies. So as other's have indicated, there's a real chance that prices of American tools will go up.

I don't see it mentioned often and I think it's worth stating, a recession is normally defined as a fall in GDP over two quarters. So we've got over 6 months till we know if Brexit is going to cause a recession.

whiskywill":pcujwmjs said:
So, only those who voted to remain thought through the consequences. What a load of patronising b***************s.
Agreed, though sadly it's probably rather like the tongue-in-cheek quote about racists: just because someone voted Leave doesn't make them racist, but most racists probably voted Leave.

The economic and political consequences of leaving the EU were staggeringly clear to anyone with even the most basic understanding of said topics (as were the incompatibility of Leave's own claims). I suspect however that most people voted (either way) without that understanding.

morfa":pcujwmjs said:
Well I can't speak for woodworking, but I've already seen a number of price rises from American companies. So as other's have indicated, there's a real chance that prices of American tools will go up.
With the pound dropping so low against the dollar that's an inevitability - it's simply the realities of exchange rates. I was lucky enough to buy some machinery from the US (over a decade ago) when you could get near $2 for £1.

Here are some figures showing the massive extent to which we have to import hardwood timber into the UK,

UK Timber.jpg

I understand there was a big drive in the late 40's and 50's to try and make the country more self sufficient in timber, but (at least in my part of the world) the Forestry Commission are now on the retreat and reducing their acreages as environmental movements are objecting to the planting of "alien species" such as Corsican Pine, are expressing a preference for more open heathland with reduced tree cover, and advocate leaving broadleaf trees in situ until they die naturally (on the grounds that older trees support greater numbers and range of insects and dependent species than younger trees).

I'm not qualified to take a position on these arguments, but which ever way you look at it timber prices are likely to increase.

A bit of a tangent to the main subject of this thread, but it's surprising how fast CITES is limiting the range of timbers available in the UK. If you fancy making something from Wenge or even, astonishingly, from European Walnut, you might be well advised to buy your timber sooner rather than later!

Attachments

• UK Timber.jpg
    UK Timber.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 117
custard":2e4mnv0x said:
Here are some figures showing the massive extent to which we have to import hardwood timber into the UK,

I understand there was a big drive in the late 40's and 50's to try and make the country more self sufficient in timber, but (at least in my part of the world) the Forestry Commission are now on the retreat and reducing their acreages as environmental movements are objecting to the planting of "alien species" such as Corsican Pine, are expressing a preference for more open heathland with reduced tree cover, and advocate leaving broadleaf trees in situ until they die naturally (on the grounds that older trees support greater numbers and range of insects and dependent species than younger trees).

I'm not qualified to take a position on these arguments, but which ever way you look at it timber prices are likely to increase.

A bit of a tangent to the main subject of this thread, but it's surprising how fast CITES is limiting the range of timbers available in the UK. If you fancy making something from Wenge or even, astonishingly, from European Walnut, you might be well advised to buy your timber sooner rather than later!
Interesting - thanks for posting.

It tallies with the fact we import more than we export - though I didn't realise there was such a gap for woods such as Oak, Ash and Beech.

We will adapt and overcome, life will go on whatever the outcome. My packet of walkers ready salted crisps will probably still taste bland and boring.

Coley

custard":2f99qqoq said:

Thank you for the info, very interesting indeed!

So presumably as the price of European timber will rise with the increased cost of importing and will therefore increase the demand for UK grown timber, which i'm guessing will in turn raise the price of the UK grown timer?

Sawdust=manglitter":emlzb1gd said:
So presumably as the price of European timber will rise with the increased cost of importing and will therefore increase the demand for UK grown timber, which i'm guessing will in turn raise the price of the UK grown timer?
With the Pound also dropping against the Euro that would indeed be a reasonable assumption.

In other news: Farage receives his MEP salary in Euros, which means he's had an effective pay increase. Makes you happy to be alive, doesn't it?

I think the big problem is the uncertainty in terms of what and when. Speculation is the driver of investment and until such time as a real plan of any kind comes to the surface, it is anyone's guess what effect leaving the EU will have. That said, I think it's safe to say the current and short term outlook is not a positive one based on my own experience.

Edit: Retrospectively I realise the above looks more generic than specific to the OP's question. My point was that general business growth is and will be affected. This will affect companies importing their product here and subsequent take up of it by the companies like Axminster. I would also say that you need to factor in the end customer and whilst the likes of Axi cater for a lot of hobbyists they also cater for the trade - if this drops it will domino back up the supply chain.

Sterling is being manipulated once again by the big players, so yes, we, the taxpayer, will bare the brunt of this in the short term, as we always do.

Regardless of a persons position on the vote, this was an obvious byproduct of a leave vote, thanks to rampant capitalism. George Soros, who was a remain supporter, or so he says, but then he'd probably sell his children for a few quid, made a fortune in 1992, on Black Wednesday, by short selling Sterling which cost this country and every single taxypayer, very dearly. His modern equivalents will now be doing the same, guaranteed.

Why would anyone listen to the likes of him, or in fact, any of these so called big business experts who were up until recently vilified by many people, doubtless including remain voters, for their enormous salaries and tax dodges. They are only out for themselves and for profit. Period. What makes them suddenly great advisors on whats best for the rank and file population?

The endless panic headlines from newspapers such as the Guardian are not helping. I used to respect their journalism, but they are now no better than a tabloid. When we need real information and calm, the press, not only the Guardian continue to peddle drivel.

I cannot believe people are buying into the panic. Especially when we have major world economic powers literally falling over themselves to offer free trade deals. We are just waiting on someone to take that forward. Being in limbo and speculation by unscrupulous financiers is what is causing our currency problems.

The FTSE tells the real story. The 250 is down, but not by any significant amount in the great scheme of things. It's probably down because of the speculation on sterling causing blips in import/export for smaller companies, who don't have the capital reserves to even out their prices. The FTSE 100, full robust companies with reserves, is doing very well.

I am European and I'm English. This vote didn't change my desire for an espresso in Italy or a snowboarding holiday in France, or my desire to learn about other cultures and meet with people of different backgrounds. Being part of the EU is a requirement for none of these things. We're as European as we want to be and nothing will ever change that.

Latest posts

Back