Wild fires in BC Canada.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Climate is not weather. The climate is measured over decades (about 3 of them), not months or years.
Climate is weather.
Climate = the weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period.
Weather = the immediate local effects of the climate, day by day.

Precisely - it's the view. Many of these people have well paid jobs that depend upon those views.
You don't think they could find alternative employment? It's a job creation scheme for redundant scientists?

So if you point out that something that was supposed to have happened didn't, you're a nutter. I see now.
You have completely missed the point. What about the things forecast which are happening?

Climate is weather.
Climate = the weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period.
Weather = the immediate local effects of the climate, day by day.
I apologise, I shall rephrase for you.

I do not consider the weather events you refer to, as irrefutable evidence of an impending climate disaster. Anymore than I consider a salad eaten by a lard ar$£, to be evidence of a healthy diet.

I apologise, I shall rephrase for you.

I do not consider the weather events you refer to, as irrefutable evidence of an impending climate disaster.
Don't be silly.
No individual or cluster of weather events is "irrefutable evidence of an impending climate disaster", but the events together, against the long history of the science, starts to look convincingly like a trend, as widely researched and forecast over a long period.
You ought to drop this sneery sarcastic tone it just makes you look like an iidiot!
You ought to make an effort to look at the science instead of churning out endless nonsense.

The French government has just passed a law mandating that all car parks with over 80 spaces have to cover at least half of the area with solar panels. Several supermarkets in the areas are busy doing just that.

Don't be silly. No individual or cluster of weather events is "irrefutable evidence of an impending climate disaster", but the events together, against the long history of the science, starts to look pretty convincing.
You ought to drop this sneery sarcastic tone it just makes you look like an iidiot!
Thanks for the character advice, I'll be sure to take it on board. 🤔

Now, if you could try to be less of a hypocrite and stop attempting to belittle people who's opinion you don't share, it's doesn't make you seem clever.

Thanks for the character advice, I'll be sure to take it on board. 🤔

Now, if you could try to be less of a hypocrite and stop attempting to belittle people who's opinion you don't share, it's doesn't make you seem clever.
It's not "my opinion" it's the current scientific position as far as I understand it.
I don't need to "belittle" your opinion you are doing it quite well yourself without assistance!
You yourself are belittling the work of thousands of scientists and experts in the field, as though they are all liars or fraudsters.
Try to wake up!

Climate is not weather. The climate is measured over decades (about 3 of them), not months or years.

You, and those who share your point of view appear to insist on referring to weather events as evidence of a 'rapidly changing climate'. You're perfectly entitled to believe that hot months are due solely to mans use of fossil fuels, I do not.
...And what is the general trend, climate-wise, over the last three decades?

I do wish people would stop posting this silly graph. It only goes back 20,000 years, blink of an eye in terms of the planet's history, and I am guessing deliberately chosen because this period has been relatively stable, which is not actually typical at all. If you look at the overall picture the planet has been a lot warmer than it is now for well over half the time we can estimate temperatures for. And there have been large short term spikes going back over millions of years, long before they can conceivably have had anything to do with us. So yes we are undoubtedly contributing to the rise in temperatures, and consequent climate change, and we should stop these aggravating activities as soon as we can. But I think to suggest that it is ENTIRELY a man made phenomenon is probably wrong. We are an arrogant species and very fond of looking at everything from the point of view of our, very fleeting, existence. How long have modern humans been around, and in sufficient numbers to do anything, 50,000 years? That is probably generous. If we talk about organised civilisation it's only around 5/6 thousand years. Dinosaurs were around for over 150million years, and it was a lot hotter for most of that time, as it has been for most of the time since life evolved. There have been umpteen mass extinctions, where in some cases over 90% of life became extinct. These were entirely natural phenomena. True we are without doubt the most destructive creatures ever to have evolved, with a wanton disregard for every other species, plant or animal. So if we don't buck our ideas up will will probably exterminate ourselves, but the earth will undoubtedly carry on, and all remaining species will probably think good riddance.

Attachments

• 450px-65_Myr_Climate_Change.png
    450px-65_Myr_Climate_Change.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you look at the long term trend, and I mean over millions of years, you can see that we have evolved and flourished in a several tens of thousands of years long spell of untypically cool temperatures. Sooner or later this will change, and in the past cool periods like this have tended to be followed by periods as far above the average temperature as we currently are below it, not good, or not for us anyway. As far as I can see there doesn't appear to be any detailed consensus on what exactly was responsible for these historic temperature changes. Movement of tectonic plates, cyclic changes in the planet's orbit and axis of rotation, changes in solar activity, all must have played a part, and of course all are in a continuous state of change. But if scientists can't agree precisely what combination of factors caused these events in the past, then hard to predict when the next one might be. Could be in a hundred thousand years, or it could be we are seeing the start of it now, helped along by our own contributions.

If there is an upside to this, it's that we are now more able to adjust our way of life/habitats to the changing climate. Of course it will still hurt, but it shouldn't be an extinction event for all. Only some..........

If there is an upside to this, it's that we are now more able to adjust our way of life/habitats to the changing climate. Of course it will still hurt, but it shouldn't be an extinction event for all. Only some..........
Exactly. We are unique in that we are the only species that has developed the ability to actually influence these things. We just need to learn to adapt out behaviour and habits to fit in with the rest of the world around us, as every other species does. For far too long we have sought to exploit our surroundings to suit us, and bigger the consequences. For a long time that was because we didn't know any better. That is hardly an excuse now. So we need to take steps urgently to stop out abuse of our home, and try and live more in harmony with it. Whether we collectively have the resolve to actually do what is required is another matter.

..... You're perfectly entitled to believe that hot months are due solely to mans use of fossil fuels, I do not.
Well done! Pathetically sarcastic as usual! Saying something stupid in a sarcastic manner doesn't make them any more true or meaningful!
In fact nobody believes "that hot months are due solely to mans use of fossil fuels" so you are not alone on that one.
But all the science suggests that hotter than usual months are due to fossil fuels.
Hotter than usual months, or any of the other repeatedly changed weather patterns, over a long period, is what is termed "climate change".

Last edited:
Who knows?
We are certainly looking at major changes but where it will end is anybody's guess. There may have been life on Mars once!

If you look at the long term trend, and I mean over millions of years, you can see that we have evolved and flourished in a several tens of thousands of years long spell of untypically cool temperatures. Sooner or later this will change, and in the past cool periods like this have tended to be followed by periods as far above the average temperature as we currently are below it, not good, or not for us anyway. As far as I can see there doesn't appear to be any detailed consensus on what exactly was responsible for these historic temperature changes. Movement of tectonic plates, cyclic changes in the planet's orbit and axis of rotation, changes in solar activity, all must have played a part, and of course all are in a continuous state of change. But if scientists can't agree precisely what combination of factors caused these events in the past, then hard to predict when the next one might be. Could be in a hundred thousand years, or it could be we are seeing the start of it now, helped along by our own contributions.
The difference between the science of the current state of affairs and earlier epochs is that we are nearer to the evidence of our own era and can witness the changes taking place. We know much more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back