Wicket door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jams

Reaction score
Hi All.

My names James and I'm in the process of installing two teak (heavy) doors at the rear of my garden.

I've stumbled across here in my search for information on a 'Wicket Door'. As the doors are very large (93" overall wide x 84" high) I'm looking at exploring the possibility of cutting a wicket door in one, so the kids can get in and out without too much hassle.
I cant find much of a 'how to' any where on interweb, so I wondered if anyone has any advice on this idea on here?
The doors are very solid, with 8" rail at the bottom, two 4" rails 1/3 way and 2/3 up and a 5" one at the top. Panelled with 4 x 1" t and g.
Would they withstand this modification and if so, what's the best practice ?

Many thanks in anticipation

Jams

PS

Great site BTW. Excellent knowledge. 8)

Hi
Sorry should habve explained, a wicket door is one in a larger door. A personell door , oif you like.
Jams

Dan-K":2p7qxkv0 said:
Welcome to UKW jams, sorry I can't help but I'm sure someone will be along soon with something useful to say :)

Many thanks Dan, bit of a 'sticky wicket' if you like :) but just need a bit of reassurance on the method. I did plan on framing the opening ,then cutting door. After which, putting a frame around the rear of cut out and hanging. Hinge off the verical rail ?

Jams

Much depends on intended use - i.e. garden, garage or house access - but they're typically a door within a door arrangement where the smaller one is a duplicate of the one in which it sits. They're often hinged outward as a means of weather proofing and avoiding problems if the larger door is opened whilst the wicket swings free, but a drip/sill bar should help if necessary and opening direction is totally optional (Depending on useage and whether or not it opens against a wall).

Framed by two concealed vertical jambs, with header and threshold normally formed via the larger door's bottom and middle/top ledgers. If the doors are panelled, be sure to allow for and adequately brace (Diagonal supports) upward from the hinge side to prevent the doors from dropping on their open/leading edges.

Thanks Gary,

Really great advice, =D> . Similar to what I had planned, now Im sure thats the way to go, many thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

James

Back