why "off"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're specifying a quantity of something you tend to say "10 off" or "12 off" etc.

Where does this use of "off" come from?

I'd like to explain it to my Taiwanese boss and other colleagues of assorted nationalities...

Pete,
my understanding of this is as in "can you take 12 off my order" or "Can you take 12 off the shelf".

I've not found an explanation on Google either.

Andy

my assumption is that its a corruption of, of - as in i'll have 12 of those

I agree with BSM and Alan.

When I worked on sites as a student millions of years ago I used to get cutting lists and they were written, say:

12No x 96 x 3 x 1 for twelve 8' x 3" x 1" planks and that was spoken as "Twelve number by ninety-six by three by one".

Is that method of communicating amounts still used or was it a local thing?

Brendan

By is still used.

How do the American's verbally say their quarter measurements - is it "over" ie 8/4?

Rod

matt":lze8x9i5 said:
It's always been "of" rather than "off" where I'm concerned and is used to add clarity when ordering dimensioned goods.

50 x 25 x 50
v.
50 of 25 x 50

It's not the same.
One of 50 mil is not the same as one-off.

I'm struggling a bit with the etymology (anyone got an OED to hand?) but I suspect it may be something to do with a cutting or manufacturing process.

As an interesting aside to the above, according to Websters dictionary of phrase and fable, to " do off ones hat, and to do on ones hat has been shortened over the years to DOFF and DON, useless info, but of some interest.

Rich.

I think it refers to engineering or woodworking drawings when an order might consist of "one off drawing A, seven off drawing B etc.etc."

Richard

That's my understanding. In the distant days when I did factory work it was always 'off'. If they meant 'of' they would have said 'of', I've always assumed.
But it's most common as 'one-off' - which I think clinches it.

It is from old-time manufacturing, and it comes from pattern-making. My grandad was a pattern-maker.

You take so many off a pattern.

I have a pattern-makers rule. 2ft long. Well, it depends what scale you use. It has 4 different 2ft scales on it! It's used to make moulds for different materials. So if you were casting bronze you would use a different scale than if you were casting iron, because the shrinkage was different (and therefore the mould had to be different).

"Part A, 12 off" means take 12 casting from the mould for Part A.

S

Back