Why I've been quiet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't posted much recently due to being busy in the shop. So I thought I would just post some pics of what I have been doing of late. First up is another set of gates in softwood.

Then a bit of arts and crafts work:

This one is for the summer house I built last year. In between those two I had a customer who wanted an old plant stand drilling to turn it into a lamp.

I also finally got the staircase fitted into the cellar of my landlords cottage. (couldn't get any pics of this yet as it was like the black hole of Calcutta down there. And last but not least the first of two plinths. This one is to mount a ships clock on and the next one will be to mount a model steam engine.

I am starting to get busy again I am happy to say and have an Oak TV cabinet to make next and an Oak display cabinet after that. In between those jobs i have a loft hatch to fit and six internal doors to hang. I have enough work to see me through to the end of march so far. :D

That's cool, nice variety of work to keep you from getting bored.

Those gates look great but softwood ?

Thought that would be a false economy or is it for weight reasons ?

Yup softwood, I have built quite a few softwood gates in the past. They have a clear finish on them which I apply during the build. I give the customer the option of softwood or hard but it is down to cost for most of them hence the softwood ones. Having said that, one set I built lasted ten years without any other maintenance! surprisingly.

I just use a cheap decking oil from Screwfix. It is a thin solvent based oil which seeps in to the wood and leaves an oily residue on the surface. It does seem to work quite well.

Nice work, how does the second cross brace work on the gates? You have one diagonal in the top half and one horizontal in the bottom.

You sure those gates will last? they are not even tanalised? the 'cheap' preserver wont penetrate enough into the wood unless you leave them to soak for a week. Joints wise, how did you joint them, cant see any through mortises?
Not picking just making sure clients get a good product.

Yes pretty sure. Joints are all pegged M&T's. I have built quite a few of these over the years and not had a problem with them so far. As i stated in my earlier post one set lasted for 10 years without any treatment! I am sure my customers are getting a good service as I still get repeat work from them. :D Even using tanalised once it was machined up most of the treatment would have gone anyway.

I'm pretty sure you can get them tantalized as a unit after construction. I seem to remember overhearing someone doing it in Jewsons.

Back