Why is my Record power bandsaw table big?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
I was measuring up my Record Power BS300 bandsaw and the table measures

500mm x 550mm

But everywhere you look it states the table measures

400mm x 480mm

why is this?

I did note the next model up BS 350 has a 500mm x 550mm table

The footprint probably has little to do with the table size.
It does on some, especially seeing as a few smaller machines these days doing away with the splayed legs.
EB 315.JPG

@Ttrees - an original Meppen BAS315 I reckon? - love it & I sold loads - such a good machine at the time
I've never heard of Elektra Beckum being refereed to as Meppen, new one to me.
You must be in the business a long time!
It seems a lot better than I was expecting, on Graham's video short, and got the job done.
The "rubber" tires are perished and squishy on me folks one.

I have to guess by the popularity of this machine, that the guide casting material must've held up at the time.
I've not seen a "metal" like it TBH.
I do hope this occurrence won't happen on all the machines with wheels, what's not made from cast iron, that would be a disaster waiting to happen!

eb315 casting .jpeg

A farmers fix, though still not sorted out proper mounting, as still using the original self tapper screws.
Needs another bit of TLC, if you'd call it that...🤠

https://cdn.imagearchive.com/ukworkshop/data/attach/39/39193-SAM-1218.JPG

Hi @Ttrees - Meppen was the town where the original Elektra Beckum German factory was & where they were built before they outsourced most to China. Their design was then copied everywhere a few years later & is still the blueprint for standard hobby bandsaws.

There was a free vending machine with cold beers in when I visited the factory in late 90's - workers allowed max. 2 a day I was told - ha I was well impressed with that.

The BAS315 was probably the first real affordable bandsaw in UK to get a cast iron table (not ali) - think even though the cast came from China, most of the saw was still made in Germany at that time.

Cheers, Nick - ex Elektra Beckum UK (y)

I was measuring up my Record Power BS300 bandsaw and the table measures

500mm x 550mm

But everywhere you look it states the table measures

400mm x 480mm

why is this?

I did note the next model up BS 350 has a 500mm x 550mm table
You got a bigger table for nothing,stay quiet,and be happy that you got lucky!@

only reason I measured is because I'm buying a new bandsaw and thought I'd see how much bigger table I'll be getting for my £1800 outlay.

Was a bit gutted when I realised the new Laguna 14BX will have an actually smaller table....

only reason I measured is because I'm buying a new bandsaw and thought I'd see how much bigger table I'll be getting for my £1800 outlay.

Was a bit gutted when I realised the new Laguna 14BX will have an actually smaller table....
Is it definitely a bs300?

yes just measured and it is 300mm wheels on it
My 18 year old Record BS300 has table size of 400 x 500 (measuring the cast iron). RP changed the spec quite a lot in the years after my purchase. My BS300 has cast alloy wheels, they then changed to cast iron, the fence was upgraded and eventually the quick release blade tension was discontinued.

Back