Why I hate Woodowork - By James M

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPJ":2hj7yfkn said:
I think Byron's on to something when he talks of getting his priorities and actually sorting out the workshop before filling it with lots of shiny new tools! I'm sure that a lot more could be achieved within a small working space, if only we were to give more time and consideration to the layout and storage before 'moving in'.

I'm planning on doing some work to the inside of my single car garage/workshop this year but, I also know I'm gonna really struggle to sort out my storage problems and insulation with all the stuff' I've accumulated during the last four-years... It would've been so much easier to do all this before hand!! :roll: :wink:

Exactly Olly - I think that is basically what I've come to in terms of a conclusion for my malaise. I've bought too many machines in an eagerness to indulge my hobby, but by doing that, I've neglected to actually finish the workshop to make it a suitable place to work.

For example, I was too eager to use it rather than insulate and board - that is still half finished, and thus means the place is too cold to work in for 5 months of the year.

I neglected to think about wood storage, and have now wasted some boards to excessive cupping because I just stand them on end where-ever there is space.

I can't find tools, or constantly have tools laying round, or constantly setting up and moving machines, because I never took the time to get proper tool storage in the form of chests/drawers, cabinets etc..

So for me, I'm happy to get rid of some of my larger purchases, consolidate the tools I do use often, and concentrate on finishing the workshop, installing the apropriate storage AND dust extraction, and then only after that consider getting some more machines - but I think I'll stick to smaller capacity machines from now on, unless I move into a large airy workshop like Ed's :)

Olly, I bought some tarpaulins, so I can put the machinery outside while I work on the shop. It's a case of planning the day around match-boarding the walls and shelving. Then shoving the machines back in before I go for tea. It takes time, but I ain't not selling my machinery... (Well I might get rid of my Sedgwick MB and buy a smaller thicknessing machine.) But that is going to require some thought and a purchaser will need van with a hydraulic tail gate, to collect the Sedgwick!

:D

I'm glad to hear that others have similar problems with organisation as I do. And the tale of spending an age trying to find a tool for a 2 minute job is being told too frequently with me! And when I have to use something else to do the job you can be sure that as soon as I'm finished it I'll find the original tool I was looking for! :?

I had considered looking in to joining the TA - toolaholics anonymous!! But happy enough to continue with the habit! :D

The plan was to finally sort the shop when I was off at Christmas - helping others came first tho and so my frustration continues!! The quest for the perfect shop!! Unattainable!! But good fun trying!! :) Its amazing at times and credit to those who produce the quality jobs in confined spaces! For me my biggest problem is probably TOO much space! I'll be struck down for saying that!! Still I'll try to carry that burden!! :)

As for selling tools - couldn't do it! It'll alwayhs come in handy someplace! Or even be the start of a tool set for son or nephew!

My problem now is I keep taking on little jobs for other people. Simple things, like this bookcase that means I haven't finished my router table, and can't get the time to really organize my space.

ByronBlack":2orsi3d4 said:
OPJ":2orsi3d4 said:
I think Byron's on to something when he talks of getting his priorities and actually sorting out the workshop before filling it with lots of shiny new tools! I'm sure that a lot more could be achieved within a small working space, if only we were to give more time and consideration to the layout and storage before 'moving in'.

I'm planning on doing some work to the inside of my single car garage/workshop this year but, I also know I'm gonna really struggle to sort out my storage problems and insulation with all the stuff' I've accumulated during the last four-years... It would've been so much easier to do all this before hand!! :roll: :wink:

Exactly Olly - I think that is basically what I've come to in terms of a conclusion for my malaise. I've bought too many machines in an eagerness to indulge my hobby, but by doing that, I've neglected to actually finish the workshop to make it a suitable place to work.

For example, I was too eager to use it rather than insulate and board - that is still half finished, and thus means the place is too cold to work in for 5 months of the year.

I neglected to think about wood storage, and have now wasted some boards to excessive cupping because I just stand them on end where-ever there is space.

I can't find tools, or constantly have tools laying round, or constantly setting up and moving machines, because I never took the time to get proper tool storage in the form of chests/drawers, cabinets etc..

So for me, I'm happy to get rid of some of my larger purchases, consolidate the tools I do use often, and concentrate on finishing the workshop, installing the appropriate storage AND dust extraction, and then only after that consider getting some more machines - but I think I'll stick to smaller capacity machines from now on, unless I move into a large airy workshop like Ed's :)

I think organization is key. I know others can work in a disorganized 'shop, but I can't. Spend some time getting the place insulated and finished off and then organise tool storage...even if it's something like my 'Tool Wall' which is simply a bit of 18mm chipboard faced with hardboard and fixed to the wall, planes stored under the bench (not a fancy storage unit like Waka's :mrgreen: )...that can come later:

esrtyertyhrtyertyhrt.jpg

I store all my boards vertically and haven't had any bother with them. I know lots of others have machines on castors that move. I don't as it would irritate the hell out of me :evil: to keep constantly shifting gear around to use it...and I also have a pet hate of trailing cables. So, plan out the location of your machines so that everything can be used comfortably and then fix them down. The posh storage cabinet could be made later on (a project of mine for later on this year) but whatever you do, don't sell any more kit 'cos you'll regret it later (from one who knows) - Rob

Hi Rob,

You make some good points. Other than my bandsaw I don't intend on selling anything else. I'm going spend the next few months getting the place organised and finished & warm.

In terms of layout, I'm not far off my ideal, it's the actual lack of finishing certain jobs (router table, cabinet for tablesaw, a place for the thickenesser) that is stopping me from being in the slightest bit productive, so I'm going to sort that out first, and then decide what tooling I wish to add.

I like your storage wall, but I can't really do that with mine, it would be too inviting for thieves as it's not difficult to get into my garden and I back out onto a dark alleyway/playing field so we got a lot of people roaming about. I do plan however to buy some of those mechanics metal tool chests, which will allow me to be organised and have the tools nice and secure (their lockable).

The next thing I have to think about is wood-storage and dust extraction. I'm thinking on how to utitlise my ceiling space to store my timber, and perhaps build a small secondary shed on the back to house the dust extracter and run some plumbing into the shed to the main area's (planer/thicknesser/ts/router etc.)

Well I'm happy to say that the painting job that was getting me down is now almost finished. After much trial and error I got the hang of mixing the paint for use with the HVLP gun and the bookcase is nearly all done ready for the client to collect on Wednesday.

After this is done (which hopefully will be this evening) I plan to either paint the base of my CT150 planer which I've been restoring and get that bolted back together and if time permitting get the last 2 tracks on my router table routed in and then start work on the fence.

It really is a constant battle working in a tight space. I've found the only way is to be completely anal about keeping the place clean and tidy and being ruthless about chucking out all the offcuts (my neighbours with open fires in their living rooms benefit from this). I recently did a refit of the workshop, and the new layout is a big improvement. The planer and the bandsaw are on mobile bases, but only have to be moved out from the wall a bit to use. This hasn't annoyed me as much as I thought it would, and the important thing is I now have a half decent amount of working surfaces. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those electric awning things (that John Stalker and his dog did the advert for :shock: ) to cover the deck area out the back of the garage, and to use this as additional assembly/finishing space (weather permitting). My big problem is timber storage; this is virtually non-existent with my current layout. I would definitely say that lack of space is a major contributory factor in the frustration felt, I know it is with me :evil: Having said that I still love my miniscule shop, and most of my time spent out of it is spent thinking about what I'm going to do next time I'm in it.

After reading through the thread and without over analysing, these were my initial thoughts from personal experience:

1) Match the projects you work on to the space and tools that you have;
2) Assumming that buying a machine and using it in a productive always comes easily;
3) Spending money on tools that just lay around getting very little use, realising the money would be better off elsewhere, and the tools can always be bought when really needed.
4) Taking the time to start small and then grwo from there.

Regards

D

ByronBlack":3juvv1cp said:

Yes, that sounds similar to the situation I'm in at the moment - except, I'm not even half way there!! :shock: :? :wink:

What started out as a hobby to keep me busy in my spare time has developed in to something I'd like to have a crack at doing seriously. Where I can take on commissions either on a full or part-time basis. As you say though, it's not a lot of good when you can't bare the cold out there four or five months a year! I don't think the last couple of winters have been that bad, to be perfectly honest. But, working conditions are far from ideal.

Even if you can machine timber quite happily, the cold and damp conditions don't suit glues or finishes.

I also need somewhere to store bags of shavings until I can take them up the tip - I've somehow managed to fill more than THREE of them, just today, while working on this blanket chest!! :oops: :)

I can't decide on how to tackle timber storage in a small space. Smaller offcuts from past projects can obviously remain in the workshop but, timber for items of furniture will need to be stored indoors for several weeks to acclimatise, prior to machining... Does that mean extending the house and not the workshop? :shock: :D

Refreshing to read a very good thread which I'm sure hit's nerves with all.

I recently made room in my single garage for a new bandsaw that i persuaded myself that i needed.

Bearing in mind that the available space is taken by large cast iron table saw, Kapex on stand, etc. etc. i was delighted to clear out a space of about 600mm wide, perfect for a small bandsaw.

My wife popped into the garage only to see the space and suggested that we buy a freezer to fit it.

I told her to ******* off ! My space, my territory etc.

Anyway, it arrived today, not a Jet, or a SIP, not even a Scheppach, but a Hotpoint.
I lost the battle, the space and the bandsaw, but gained an annoying hum from the freezer. :(

Can you not stick a sheet of ply over the freezer (assuming it's a chest-type one) and use it as a temporarly bench for gluing up, finishing and dumping tools? That's what I do with ours, I just haven't gotten around to find a sheet of ply yet (and there's a heck of a mess on the top!!) :oops: :D

OPJ":38mst5dj said:
Can you not stick a sheet of ply over the freezer (assuming it's a chest-type one) and use it as a temporarly bench for gluing up, finishing and dumping tools? That's what I do with ours, I just haven't gotten around to find a sheet of ply yet (and there's a heck of a mess on the top!!) :oops: :D

It's nearly 6 feet tall :lol:

RinkyDinky":1vftj1pd said:
OPJ":1vftj1pd said:

Forget cryogenically treating blades, you could crygogenically freeze a human in there!

If you have inside access to the garage, I'd stick a sheet of ply over the door.

I think your other half would soon get fed up of tripping outside every time she wants something from the freezer.

Unless she send yourself of course! :whistle:

If it's six feet tall, it must have drawers. Turn it off and store power tools and stuff in there.

Jake":la5f66gx said:
If it's six feet tall, it must have drawers. Turn it off and store power tools and stuff in there.

Now that's a great idea, it does have 6 drawers, but i'd like a bandsaw and do not need extra storage. I tried the "making it awkward to get to" but she sends me out.

Come on guys, i can't let this beat me.... :evil:

Tilt it over the wrong way so the compressor oil gets in the refrigerant, and then instead of waiting the recommended hour/day or two to let it drain back in to the compressor, turn it on immediately. Leave it on for a few hours and if it is still working, repeat until it fails. Repeat until several replacements fail. Look innocent and declare that it must just be a jinxed spot to put a freezer in.

RinkyDinky":1qbychf9 said:

Ah, right! :shock:

Don't know how you're gonna squeeze a bandsaw around there then... :(

Could you at least make a ply or MDF "saddle" to hang over the top and down both sides? You could then use that for storing tools and things (maybe add some shelves?), which could save some space elsewhere...? :wink:

Back