Why does Norm do it???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A shame to waste my first post here, I suppose, but I'll be back to do a proper introduction later today. Those who say that American furniture tastes run to darker colours are correct. As are those who say that Norm often copies antiques, which tend to be dark colours.

But the main reason, I think, is the obvious (to a Yank) one, and that is that his program over here is funded in part by Minwax, the stain makers. :D It would be a rare piece indeed that Norm would not stain some colour or another. :shock:

another throw for the mix, a lot of the woods that norm seems to use, like american cherry tend to change colour in the sunlight, of which of course
they seem to get more than us :?

so maybe by darkening the whole piece to one colour, it makes it easier to ensure that the piece stays a constant colour for its life.

cherry was not such a popular wood here so, it would be something we would not consider in the same way. the other thing of course is so much of what norm does is copying older piece, particularly federal type stuff which by its very nature is dark, i think that is much to do with the fact that when the originals were built they had candle light, so were looking for fewer shadows in the rooms. also i would think that there were very few light stains available, also i think that dark wood was a status thing, if you watch antiques roadshow you can often see the comments about things being rural or town built, and town built items tend to be darker and if you like less natural woods.

my 2p

paul :wink:

Tony":h67jtdj1 said:
Hi all

I still manage to get my Norm fix every morning with my daughter by my side before I leave for work and she catches the school bus.

Well, he makes some lovely stuff and then takes it into the spoiling, sorry, 'finishing' room where he proceeds to flood it with some awful dark coloured stains and ruins the piece.

I got to wondering, why doesn't he like wood when it is paying the rent? :lol: :lol:

Also, does anyone on the forum use stains (particularly hideously dark ones)? if so, why and what don't you like about natural wood?

I must admit, that depresses me also. But for Norm and Co, they live in lofty gargantuan homes compared to us (sorry for the stereotyping but I think its true having been there for some time), so I suppose they have the space to accommodate such depressing tones which would be in turn be oppressive for us. But you're right IMHO!

Ya'all need to lighten up!! :)

I prefer a nice oil or lacquer on plain wood but..
Let me give you some reason. Just my 2cents.

If you look at the walls when Norm visits a place they are generally light. The dark furniture and trim make a nice contrast. Most houses here have light, off white or white walls

Dark is considered a rich mans color over here. YA know we do a booming business in suntan oil :)

Dark furniture is easier to keep clean

Doctors,Dentists, hospitals all have antiseptic looking light furniture.

Properly done stain can "POP" the grains of certain woods. Give it a shimmering or 3D effect. of course in our opinion.

Light woods over here turn darker from light and dark woods turn lighter.

And as was said before most of out antiques are dark. Now who do you think started that ? :)

Ya'all carry on and don't forget to eat your bicuits and gravy!!

Walk through a furniture store in North America & you will find a preponderence of dark lacqured furniture. Consumers' here may not particularily like it & if they are not woodworkers they are "stuck" with what is available. Why dark lacqured ? Simply because cheaper materials are covered up while at the same time imparting a "rich" appearance to go along with the rich pricing. Ohhhh welllll :roll:

Lee

Latest posts

Back