Why do they do this???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DSCN2416.JPG

A brand new auger - look at the height of the spur. :roll:

Attachments

• DSCN2416.JPG
    DSCN2416.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 616
Depressing - send it back.

I've just bought some Axminster Forstner bits (as I wear out the ones in the cheap set, I replace with better). I've been very pleased with their "standard" range, but they've recently got very pricey, considering. I appreciate they're no good if you're doing timber framing, but otherwise possibly worth a look.

Phil - It's the times we live in. People will accept any old rubbish and to many the defect you've highlighted they wouldn't even know what was wrong. As mentioned above return it to wherever you bought it and if you have time enclose a letter saying 'globilisation' is fine but when it costs you time and money (Which this faulty auger has done to you) then 'No thanks' and tell them you will be buying elsewhere in future

I recently sent some masonry drill bits back to JCB with a strong letter telling them to get their 'Quality Control' people to look into why the tips disintegrated after drilling just two holes.

That was three weeks ago, not had any response so far, typical.

It's so depressing the attitude of big companies these days :( especially the ones who are sourcing their products in China or such like.

Well, when everyone is hell bent on buying to a price, the accountant eventually becomes the chief designer.

It's so easy to undercut an existing market isn't it, Aldi, Lidl ... what do they add to the sum total of anything worth a rub! Not an innovative product, developed and created in house anywhere to be seen.

Seems like everyone is jostling for pole position in the race to the bottom to me.

I completely agree, it is depressing. Producing quality goods is no longer seen as a sensible strategy in business today, no one seems to know how to grow a company by any other means than the lowest price wins.

My son laid some decking about three years ago, I laid mine about 23 years ago, his is rotten, mine is almost as good as the day I laid it. Both bought from TP Aylesford Kent. I have been buying timber from there for over 45 years, but, not any more, they have succumbed to the bloody accountants and the business is completely useless now. Might as well go to B&Q for par stock.

I really miss the familiarity of a good trade supplier, even though I am a bit out of touch these days. Taking a dozen bacon butties in for the lads that invariably looked after you, meant something and the banter was priceless. If you paid a bit more, it was worth it for the service and quality, everyone new what they were doing and had respect,

I'm glad I had those times.

I don't like the modern world much :(

A company I used to run was bought by an American PLC. After a couple of years and a few more acquisitions in Europe they hatched a cunning plan for improvement. So, they recruited an accountant from one of the big 4 companies, and placed him in charge of Engineering, Sales and Operations. He’s a very nice person. In doing so, they removed all of the original management teams so that now they are left with a European division without any Engineers at the top level or people with knowledge of the industry. It’s amazing that their share price has only fallen by 1/3 since they started this process!

I appreciate I could have bought better, but I only needed to deepen three existing holes by two inches and I might never use the thing again. There's nothing much wrong with the manufacture of this one, just a crepe design that leaves the spur far to short. I needed it quickly, couldn't get a 19mm from Screwfix or Toolstation and swmbo has Prime. We also have major expense approaching so didn't want to spend unnecessarily ... I drilled the holes, went indoors and cracked the glass of the stove ...... then dropped the heater from the aquarium. :(

Ummmm, for those who are hard of learning, what is wrong with it? (and please show a right one)

woodenstuart":3fbk0v2m said:
Ummmm, for those who are hard of learning, what is wrong with it? (and please show a right one)

The spur (the sharp blade on the right) should be higher than the cutting edge on the left. When being used the spur then cuts the edge of the hole prior to the main cutting edge then cutting the hole out. Without the spur cutting the edge of the hole first the edge of the hole will be ragged as the main cutter will tear the fibres at the edge of the hole leaving a messy edge to the hole.

There are different designs of auger with two or three spurs and cutting edges.

WIN_20171106_15_18_06_Pro (2).jpg
WIN_20171106_15_16_06_Pro (2).jpg
y

single and double spur examples as asked for

Attachments

• WIN_20171106_15_16_06_Pro (2).jpg
    WIN_20171106_15_16_06_Pro (2).jpg
    130 KB · Views: 243
  • WIN_20171106_15_18_06_Pro (2).jpg
    WIN_20171106_15_18_06_Pro (2).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 243
DSCN2421.JPG

Woodenstuart - Not a good picture, but see how much higher than the cutting edge the spur is. It's so the edge of the hole is cleanly cut before the cutting edge takes out the waste - visualise trying to cut a channel across the grain with a chisel without scoring the sides first.

Attachments

• DSCN2421.JPG
    DSCN2421.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 228
Ahh, makes sense now :)

FWIW regarding JCB tools, I'd imagine its just a branding exerrcise to get more cash... Thankfully (or not, depending on ones outlook) B&Q are now taking Erbauer from their Screwfix pals and getting rid of JCB and Macallaster etc.

deema":2em345db said:
A company I used to run was bought by an American PLC. After a couple of years and a few more acquisitions in Europe they hatched a cunning plan for improvement. So, they recruited an accountant from one of the big 4 companies, and placed him in charge of Engineering, Sales and Operations. He’s a very nice person. In doing so, they removed all of the original management teams so that now they are left with a European division without any Engineers at the top level or people with knowledge of the industry. It’s amazing that their share price has only fallen by 1/3 since they started this process!

They weren't something or another "Solutions" were they by any chance?

They are developing quite a reputation, these "solutions" wizards... never seems to be a vinegar stroke in their activities though does there, just a fantastic ability to explain why it wasn't their fault, wander off the stage and strut confidently to the next chance.

We have to wake up soon, I always liked the 'survival of the fittest' analogy, but it seems more like survival of the
s hitest now.

Happy days :lol:

Latest posts

Back