Why do I keep doing this to myself....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen stuff in my local B&Q and Wickes that is hard to believe is for sale.

Timber that bends to the left and then further down twists to the right. Stuff so badly bent it barely fits in the rack anymore! I think Custard has a point that all the good stuff is probably quickly sold and the rubbish just piles up and up. I think that the behind the scenes storage is probably not very helpful either. Customer service at Wickes is so bad it's almost laughable - they hardly care about the customers in one of my local shops - god only knows how the products are treated and stored from the moment they are unloaded.

I was going to say the same, I didn't think B&Q sold wood for skirting, just pre-profiled and pre-primed MDF. I certainly wouldn't do anything with B&Q wood other than paint it, so you might as well use MDF in the first place.

Another big thumbs up for MDF skirting. If you're painting it who cares what it is underneath!

I wonder if in 20 years time we'll have solved this whole humidity issue? and we'll all be telling the newcomers how easy they have it!

I remember hearing of a new type of prodcedure that is applied to wood that hardens it in a way that means it won't move anymore, even when cut. Can't remember what it's called, but I know it was extremely expensive. Hopefully, one day, it'll be the norm!

transatlantic":3o5hnjr7 said:
I remember hearing of a new type of prodcedure that is applied to wood that hardens it in a way that means it won't move anymore, even when cut. Can't remember what it's called, but I know it was extremely expensive.
Acetylated wood maybe?

That and resin impregnation are two of the things that may be game changers in the near future. Quite apart from the greater stability they both supposedly impart it makes the wood far more resistant to rot and insect damage.

But I'm not sure either are a better option than MDF or something like it for this type of job. Even with MDF if there can't be a compromise on it looking like wood here's always graining as an option, it'll surely kill any cost benefit but stability > cost.

ED65":34bz8bx2 said:
transatlantic":34bz8bx2 said:
I remember hearing of a new type of prodcedure that is applied to wood that hardens it in a way that means it won't move anymore, even when cut. Can't remember what it's called, but I know it was extremely expensive.
Acetylated wood maybe?

That and resin impregnation are two of the things that may be game changers in the near future. Quite apart from the greater stability they both supposedly impart it makes the wood far more resistant to rot and insect damage.

But I'm not sure either are a better option than MDF or something like it for this type of job. Even with MDF if there can't be a compromise on it looking like wood here's always graining as an option, it'll surely kill any cost benefit but stability > cost.

I was thinking more generally. Wood movement is such a PITA

Believe it or not this is rippled Sycamore,

Thermo-Sycamore.jpg

The deep brown colour (which extends right through the board) is a result of thermo treatment during kilning, taking the heat far higher than normal which caramelises the sugars in the timber. This is supposed to result in a board that's harder, more rot resistant, and significantly more stable.

I found a few of these boards that had been rejected by a flooring manufacturers because the rippled figure didn't match the photographs in their catalogue! I've made a few pieces with it but I can't say I've used it extensively enough to have an authoritative view on its relevance as a furniture timber, however it did, subjectively at least, seem more stable. On the down side it was also more brittle and tear out prone when planing, plus it made the workshop smell like a barbecue!

Attachments

• Thermo-Sycamore.jpg
    Thermo-Sycamore.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back