why buy a festool fs55 when you can have a mafell KSP40F?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jobsagooden":3ro48r56 said:
So why does every one rant about festool when this is cheaper, top quality, and more practical?
Not everyone, there are some of us who recognise the benefits of Mafell. :lol: Although that saifd my rail and saw system are Bosch :oops:

Scrit

It is a good system for cutting sheets, but no good for trimming the bottoms of 44mm doors unfortunatley. I bought the TS55 which does both admirably.

Mafell tools are great, but are quite simply under represented here in the U.K. which is a shame.

i have the mafell whilst mates have the festo.

the mafell is a good tool with high quality too, but will only cut about 42mm thick,so it will cut through a worktop(most) but not a door.
it allows shadow cutting, and is a nice quiet tool.

a lot depends upon your budget. :roll:

paul :wink:

jobsagooden":2inpj6re said:
So why does every one rant about festool when this is cheaper, top quality, and more practical?

And I've got the pistol grip Mafell router, which is made by Festool. Lovely piece of kit.

adam

Adam":tkowidmx said:
And I've got the pistol grip Mafell router, which is made by Festool. Lovely piece of kit.
I'd have to agree with you there, the LO50e is a nice little router and much easier to handle than my old Elu MOF96

Scrit

I have the Mafell 40 which is great for cutting sheets, it is powerful yet lightweight. I don't need to trim doors or worktops, if I did I may have bought its bigger brother. I actually choose this after having one on loan and was impressed with how light and comfortable it was to use.

I also have a Mafell Biscuit Jointer which is also well made.

I think if it's capacity is adequate then it's a very good tool and you can save a few pounds over the Festool, be sure though that you can live with its limits, if not go for the bigger one or the Festool.

The cut quality on the rail side is very good but there can be some flaking on the other side. I'd suggest that if you use veneered material you should compare both as I have a feeling the Festool may have a bit better anti-chip system but I have never used one so don't know how they compare.

Can you find a dealer who will let you try before you buy? No better way of making your mind up. Where abouts are you - are there any good dealers nearby or shows coming up? It's one big advantage of buying in person, not via the internet, you can get your hands on the gear before deciding. Alternatively if you are near any of the members here they may be persuaded to demonstrate their own choices.

Regards, Colin

The saw itself looks as good as the festool.

However there are two small improvements on the festool that i can see

festool uses plugit power cords which is convenient if it gets damaged and has a replacable chip limiter on the waste side of the cut as well as on the rail.

I did look for these features on the Mafell website but could not see them

Thanks for all your kind advice.

I agree that it could do with being a bit bigger, but I do just love the look of that felxi rail.

I live in north Wiltshire if anyone knows of any suppliers, or shows.

If you have a couple of power tools to buy is it worth going to show in terms of price?

I too have the Mafell & mine does not cut all the way through a 40mm worktop when using the guide, it does just without the guide, I was very annoyed as I understood it would cut the full 40mm when I bought it.

wayne kerr":2949v6uh said:
I too have the Mafell & mine does not cut all the way through a 40mm worktop when using the guide, it does just without the guide, I was very annoyed as I understood it would cut the full 40mm when I bought it.

But most worktops are 38mm :!: :?:

mafell web site suggests 42mm off the rail,
and 40 mm on the rail, and i have been able to achieve same.

wonder if you have got the rail properly flattened :cry:

i think like all things it depends upon where and what you buy.
ikea seem to be about 38mm,
local goverment ones seem to be about 30mm
so i guess the answer to the original question is
what thicknesses are you going to use, sheet, or solid wood???

will physically measure mine rail in the morning jake, just for interest
although it is an older one.

the other thing is to buy the latest mafell with the cross cut attachment,
and a spare bendy rail. :twisted:

finally checked my mafell ksp40, and the rail is about 1mm thick, whilst the blade is 42 below the surface.

so what i guess is you would actually only get break out on a 40mm worktop, rather than a clean cut at the extent of the blade.

Back