Who doesn't get a mobile signal at home ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheffield Tony":2rljp2a0 said:
I ended up resorting to going back to the High Street this year, because so many places the delivery is so slow I wouldn't get my stuff in time for Christmas.

That's one of the advantages of living all the way up here. Any deliveries to us get flagged with Scottish Deadline as the border is not far away. These parcels get priority which means so do ours :D

We shave a day or two off delivery times compared to where we used to live in Worcestershire.

RogerS":1foar93r said:
Sheffield Tony":1foar93r said:
I ended up resorting to going back to the High Street this year, because so many places the delivery is so slow I wouldn't get my stuff in time for Christmas.

That's one of the advantages of living all the way up here. Any deliveries to us get flagged with Scottish Deadline as the border is not far away. These parcels get priority which means so do ours :D

We shave a day or two off delivery times compared to where we used to live in Worcestershire.

Didn't realise you moved so far north, what made you pick Scotland?

Noel":3tj8fi0r said:
RogerS":3tj8fi0r said:
Sheffield Tony":3tj8fi0r said:

Didn't realise you moved so far north, what made you pick Scotland?

Not quite Scotland. Northumberland/Cumbria border

Open spaces. Great people. Great views. Fresh air. :D

And rain. Rain. Rain. Rain. :( :( :( :( :(

Fine reasons. Nice part of the world, been to Kielder and the N Pennine parks area a few times.
You'll soon not notice the rain.....

ScaredyCat":27ecz6pk said:
This is a FUD post.

Um ...why ? Or are you referring just to your cryptic post ? Perhaps you have a great mobile signal. Perhaps you don't buy anything online. In which case, why are you posting ?

RogerS":23igxibj said:
ScaredyCat":23igxibj said:
This is a FUD post.

Um ...why ? Or are you referring just to your cryptic post ? Perhaps you have a great mobile signal. Perhaps you don't buy anything online. In which case, why are you posting ?

PSD2 does not have any REQUIREMENT to have or use a mobile phone at all.

Aside from that even if it did, you'd get sent an SMS which your phone WILL receive if it has *any* signal at all because SMS messages are transported in the header packet exchange.

This is also a good reason to register your mobile, if you have one, for SMS emergency messaging.

1. Send the word ‘register’ in an SMS message to 999
2. You will then receive SMS messages about the service
3. When you have read these SMS messages reply by sending ‘yes’ in an SMS message to 999
4. You will receive a SMS message telling you that your mobile phone is registered or if there is a problem with your registration.

OK....wrong reference by the journalist writing the article.

However, the fact still remains that OTP is being implemented and you will need a mobile and there are some people who do not get ANY signal.

You do not need a mobile phone for a OTP. eg Yubico OTP device (many other hardware keys are available).

You do not need to be 'online' to generate a OTP. (eg the obvious example is Google Authenticator)

If you're ordering online, you're online so what's wrong with that as a transport mechanism? If you're at home and you have a mobile phone, do you not have wifi?

OTP is not the only method available eg "the authentication mechanism must be constructed from two out of three possible authentication elements, i.e. something only the user has, something only the user knows, and the something only the user is.".

PDS2 is designed to open up payments to non-banks. It's not designed to curtail payments, it's designed to allow people to have more choice over who handles their payments. In essence it's forcing banks to open up their closed system APIs. It's not a bad thing. Pick a provider that uses a mechanism that suits you and you are happy to trust.

ScaredyCat":1eknahr1 said:
You do not need a mobile phone for a OTP. eg Yubico OTP device (many other hardware keys are available).

You do not need to be 'online' to generate a OTP. (eg the obvious example is Google Authenticator)

If you're ordering online, you're online so what's wrong with that as a transport mechanism? If you're at home and you have a mobile phone, do you not have wifi?

OTP is not the only method available eg "the authentication mechanism must be constructed from two out of three possible authentication elements, i.e. something only the user has, something only the user knows, and the something only the user is.".

PDS2 is designed to open up payments to non-banks. It's not designed to curtail payments, it's designed to allow people to have more choice over who handles their payments. In essence it's forcing banks to open up their closed system APIs. It's not a bad thing. Pick a provider that uses a mechanism that suits you and you are happy to trust.

#-o So what ? Neil Armstrong walked on the moon but what has that got to do with the OTP system THAT IS BEING IMPLEMENTED BY MASTERCARD, VISA ET AL. How can I say this any clearer ?

It has diddly squat to do with any of the things you've mentioned.

Now what part of this do you have difficulty in understanding ?

At this time when you use your M&S Credit Card to make a purchase online, before the payment is processed it will bring up MasterCard Secure Code. This is a service that protects credit cards when being used online, hundreds of companies use this to protect their customers and it's up to the merchant whether or not they have this in place. It will currently ask you for certain characters from a password, and once this has been verified your payment will go through.

However, in March 2019 this process will be changed to a One Time Passcode. This means as your payment is going through, it will bring up a verification screen and give you a box where the code will need to be entered. A text will then be sent to your mobile phone with this code, you enter it into the verification page and your payment is processed.

If the code cannot be sent via text, it will be sent via email but this can only be done a maximum of 5 times. After this, and if you're still not getting a signal for the text to come through, you'll need to call us directly on 0345 900 0900 each time this verification comes up. At this time, we're not aware of any other alternatives.

I could give you chapter and verse from John Lewis but I'd probably still be wasting my time.

It's all kicking off, Marjorie. Had my first OTP request this morning buying some stuff from FFX. Luckily the mobile Gods were looking favourably on me and I had a signal so could get the text.

I had a letter last week from Handelsbanken (and, no, I'm not stinking rich - my wife works for them :D ) telling me that if I get asked for a verification code when buying on line it will be sent via a text message on my mobile ............. but I don't have a mobile. I have no need for one and sure as hell am not going to get one just for that purpose.

RogerP":3hrgal9i said:
There are programs to get a computer to pretend it's phone to send and receive text messages. Here's is one possibility but there are many others -
https://thedroidguy.com/2019/01/send-re ... rd-1063532

Nice idea but following the Google Voice route I read "Google Voice only works for personal Google Accounts in the US and G Suite accounts in selected markets. Text messaging is not supported in all markets."

A tip for those who only get signal through say O2, but you are with EE. A lot of phones these days support 2 sims, so get a free O2 sim card and use that just for your OTP codes.

I run 2 sims, it allows me to get signal when visiting the inlaws as my provider doesn't get a signal there.
I have since found several other cases where one sim gets a signal and the other does not, great for emergency use.

Rorschach":aiobpiw3 said:
A tip for those who only get signal through say O2, but you are with EE. A lot of phones these days support 2 sims, so get a free O2 sim card and use that just for your OTP codes.

I run 2 sims, it allows me to get signal when visiting the inlaws as my provider doesn't get a signal there.
I have since found several other cases where one sim gets a signal and the other does not, great for emergency use.

Fair play but what a faff. You go to place an online order then remember that your phone is in another room. Then you remember that you've got your 'normal' SIM in, so you have to turn the phone off, swap the SIM, turn it back on, wait for it to register by which time your e-commerce site has probably timed out...or Mastercard has timed out.

RogerP":3dmlybc2 said:
As I said there are others - the technology is out there. :)

True but how many people are going to go to the bother of searching for something that works and/or are capable of setting it up. No, this whole OTP is a bloody PITA.

Back