Whitworth Socket Set.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distinterior

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a small set of Whitworth sockets, preferably 1/4" drive but could compromise and settle for 3/8" drive if I have to....

Anyone got a recommendation?

I've searched in vain for a 1/4" set but I'm hoping someone may know of a set that I can't find.

Thanks.

Edit. I'd be okay with a 2nd hand set if there is one available.

It would be worth looking up Whitworth a/f sizes. The page I found suggests that 1/8 BSW is about 8.5mm a/f. This is why you cannot easily find sockets in 1/4" drive. Compare and contrast metric 1/4" drive sockets, which go from maybe 4.5mm a/f to 14mm a/f. There is no Whitworth size corresponding to the lower 60% of that range, so your socket 'set' would consist of three items - 1/8 BSW, 3/16 BSW and 1/4 BSW.

the above style of sockets are not worth the bother.......after trying them they never come out of the box.....
Laser tools do a 3/8 deep set......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182135435171 £17.66.......
prob will do the norm depth sockets.....
Laser is an off-shoot of the Japanese firm of Kamasa....might be Kamaza......
I use them proff......never had one fail......even the 1/4 drive sockets get used with a nut driver.....
the above price I would say is for nothing.....

I would consider a selection from Koken.
https://www.uktools.com/whitworth-7-piece-38drive-6-point-standard-socket-set.html
When it comes to mechanics tools, my favorites are Stahlwille, but I don't believe that they make BSW sockets any longer.
Koken from Japan still do at least in 3/8" drive and their products are top class. I doubt you will find better.

Wera have nice details but pricey and no BSW sizes.
Facom are now part of SBD and the quality is declining rapidly.
Beta tools are still good but costly and I don't see any BSW sockets listed
Snap-On, Britool and most all of the classic names from the past are now deeply disappointing.
Even with Stahlwille, my 1980's spanners are better finished than the current production, but the drop off is only 5-10%.

I'm after a small set of Whitworth sockets, preferably 1/4" drive but could compromise and settle for 3/8" drive if I have to....

I've searched in vain for a 1/4" set but I'm hoping someone may know of a set that I can't find.

Thanks.

Hi.
I MIGHT have a set for you, but won't be able to confirm until next week.
My dear uncle passed away in April (blood cancer) and left me a lot of stuff in his garages.

I'll check when I go down to Southend to see my aunt and let you know.

Hi Naughty Moose,

My condolences for the loss of your Uncle and thank you for the kind offer of looking to see if he has left you something that may be suitable.

I'll send you a PM with my contact details if you should find something.

Best Regards,

Tim.

Thanks.

Go for 'wall drive', you won't have trouble with rounded corners on nuts & bolts.

I assume that is similar to the Sealey "Total Drive" set that MF1000 linked to...?
Wall drive would be hex socket …..the exact shape of the hex nut. Most std sockets are bi hex - star shaped which only contact the edges of each side.

The total drive idea is to vary the pitch of the bi hex so you get AF & others in one socket

Well, I never knew that, Phil. I always assumed them to be Nipponese. No wonder the ones I have, have lasted so long (45years, at least).
So did I. The best Kamasa socket sets I had until some kind soul relieved me of them were American made. I still use a Kamasa set of tungsten steel taps and dies from about 1975 - I paid about £25 for them then (I couldn't afford it).

I too thought Kamasa were Japanese. I bought a large 1/2"set Whitworth/A/F and metric in the 60s/early 70s. All in a large tin box, the plastic insert has fallen to bits but all sockets still going strong, though the ratchet failed some years ago. I seem to remember "Green Shield Stamps" being involved!

Back