Whitehill limited serrated head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexteria

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I received a new serrated block. I'm having problems fitting the limiters/cutters as either the limiters are too thick or the wedge is too wide. Maybe I'm being stupid, hence this post before I call Whitehill tomorrow. The block is 125*80*30 and both the cutters and limiters are 8mm thick.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

I'm no expert but 8mm thick cutters and limiters ????? Do you mean 4mm each ?

Hi Mark,

The last ones I had were 8mm cutter & 6mm limiter from Whitehill for the serrated block
Have just looked in the new catalogue and they are listed as both being 8mm, which is rather odd as both cutter & limiter are in HSS and the limiter is between £6 & £10 cheaper :roll: which I would figure if they were both 8mm & both HSS they would be the same price,......

good point John about the price. I thought it was a bit odd that they were the same but hadn't thought about the price. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

JFC- cutters vary in thickness dependant on the size/type of block. I'm not sure if its just the euro block cutters that are 4mm. I have a collection of 4,5,6 and now 8.

Cheers

Mark

The pinned Euros are almost all 4mm (some are 5mm, some of the cheap Chinese stuff is nearer to 3.2mm....). Serrateds are generally made from HSS (most Euor blocka are tool steel called WS by the Germans) and thicker, 6mm and 8mm are common although I have seen 4mm. The thicker they are the more sharpenings they'll give - sharpening is done by facing off the flat leading surface. The thicker cutters are also more stable and give a smoother cut especially if mounted in a steel block (a bit like a thick cutter in a hand plane - less vibration). The extra cost means that they are normally only recommended for continuous production work or where a particular profile will be re-used many times over its' lifetime. I, too, thought that the 8mm cutters normally came with thinner carbon steel limiters.

Scrit

Called Whitehill today and was told that the limiters should be 8mm and that the wedges are probably oversize. New ones are in the post.

Cheers

Mark

Latest posts

Back