White Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a white wood available in the UK that doesn't have much figuring and won't yellow with age?

If not, how should light woods such as lime be treated to prevent yellowing?

Gill

Gill,

Not strictly on topic, but I found this site recently and thought it may be of interest to you.

http://www.intarsia.com

I think Judy's work is stunning - it is almost enough to make me pack in turning and take up Intarsia instead!

Regards

Gary

PS - how about Holly? I turned some recently, and it looks almost like porcelain - very white and almost no grain at all.

To help stop yellowing try some water base lacquer/varnish from B&Q, they give UV protection, which will help stop that :)

Nick - I'm afraid birch is too brown for my requirements :( .

Gary - it's interesting that you should point to the Judy Gale Roberts site; I've got one of her pattern books open in front of me right now because I've been asked to try my hand at intarsia! That's why I need some white wood.

She suggests aspen or white pine, neither of which are available in the UK as far as I know. She also mentions basswood which I believe to be a variant of our lime. Unfortunately, lime yellows with age. I had thought of using maple but that tends to have too much figuring.

I've never used holly before. I looked at the website of my usual supplier (Good Timber) and the photo showed it as being a creamy yellow. Is it really white?

Colin - I'll pick up some of that finish from B&Q when (if) I complete the project. It certainly can't hurt :) . Thanks for the advice.

Gill

Gill
I'm not sure if you're open to applying a whitening finish, but Yellow Poplar (Tulipwood) with some liming wax applied gives a nice pale white'ish finish.
Cheers
Gidon

Gill,

I have got some Holly logs that were given to me by my mate who does a bit of tree felling from time to time.

So far, it has stayed absolutely snow white.

Maybe it does yellow with exposure to light, but if you whack on enough UV protecting finish it should stop that from happening.

Regards

Gary

Hi Gill,

Not sure if it will yellow but how about sycamore.
I have some offcuts that may be ok for you if you need some.

Cheers Neil

Hi Neil

Thanks for the offer, but I've got some sycamore myself and it does discolour quite markedly.

Gill

One of the whitest timber I know is hornbeam, and it stays whirte, too. Downside it may have too much grain for you and it's as hard as nails

Scrit

Gary - great link! I reckon I could find a use for hawthorn too, if only I knew where to acquire it in a suitable size :wink: :) .

Scrit - hornbeam is one of my favourite woods, although it's not terribly common. The big problem, though, is that it's just not white enough to use in intarsia.

Gill

Latest posts

Back