Which wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodstock, Falmouth, Cornwall.

Carries Baltic Birch Plywood in stock.

I think from 3mm to 18mm in thickness, I get all my plywood from them.
I mainly use 6mm.

I am lucky, living not to far away from them and able to collect my supplies, but I am sure they could arrange delivery, they are very helpful.

Have a look at their web site, as they do much more than plywood. :wink:

Take care, hope this is of help.

Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Down the road from you in StoneHouse? it's on the right just after you enter the village. Don't ask me the name because I forget.

Hi Jay
I think people go for the balti birch ply, as it contains fewer holes (or none at all) - gaps between the ply layers. If you used it for delicate pieces I think you would get parts dropping off. I get mine from a local timber yard in Northfield. Hope you find some.

Gary

If it's not too thick or too big, Wickes sell 6.5x1220x2440mm Birch ply for £27.89. Dunno if that is plus the dreaded VAT.

In my (very) limited experience, ordinary thin (3mm) ply is OK for outlines, but if you try to do anything delicate, like the portrait I posted, bits can easily break off. Don't ask me how I know, or how much it ticks you off when it happens after about 2 hours. Grrrr. Having said that, someone with more experience may not have that trouble, but as Gary says, there may be voids in the cheap stuff, and in fact, that what caused mine to break.

martinka":1u26quyf said:
If it's not too thick or too big, Wickes sell 6.5x1220x2440mm Birch ply for £27.89. Dunno if that is plus the dreaded VAT.

In my (very) limited experience, ordinary thin (3mm) ply is OK for outlines, but if you try to do anything delicate, like the portrait I posted, bits can easily break off. Don't ask me how I know, or how much it ticks you off when it happens after about 2 hours. Grrrr. Having said that, someone with more experience may not have that trouble, but as Gary says, there may be voids in the cheap stuff, and in fact, that what caused mine to break.

give Lawcris a shout the next time you need a sheet (if you are near to Leeds). I found them to be very competitive on sheet goods. They can also cut t to fit in the car, although they do charge for this. Even so, I found them to be much less than the DIY places.

marcros":2kbym8fy said:
martinka":2kbym8fy said:

give Lawcris a shout the next time you need a sheet (if you are near to Leeds). I found them to be very competitive on sheet goods. They can also cut t to fit in the car, although they do charge for this. Even so, I found them to be much less than the DIY places.

I'm about 12 miles away so it's near enough. Thanks for the tip.

Martin.

I echo what others have said , get from local timber merchants or wickes etc , hobbies is ok but it works out at double the price than what I can get locally

mark

I find that the Wickes store in my area only stock a low quality plywood, when I enquired after a better quality ply (ie Baltic Birch), I was advised that they could not afford to stock it, as there is very little demand ?, very strange.

So beware of the quality of ply from Wickes. Quality is ok for general DIY work, but not for fine scroll saw work. :shock:

Take care.

Chris R.
I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).

Back