Which wood glue for work bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grafter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm looking to build my first workbench - (bob key version)
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/z_pdf/shopImprov/BobAndDavesGoodFastAndCheapBench-ne.pdf
from 2x4" and 2x6" - which type of glue would be the most suitable for glueing the top 2x4" together.

Also will the glue alone be enough to hold the laminated top together or should I biscuit as well (be good if I don't need to buy a biscuit jointer as well!)

With thanks

Grafter

Use ordinary white glue ...PVA...as to the biscuits they usually are mostly for alignment rather than reinforcement. Uf you take care with alignment when doing the glue up then it will be OK. An alternate might be to use a long strip say 1/4 inch ply to align and fix the top pieces.

regards
Alan

grafter":3udrwxjc said:
Hi All

I'm looking to build my first workbench - (bob key version)
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/z_pdf/shopImprov/BobAndDavesGoodFastAndCheapBench-ne.pdf
from 2x4" and 2x6" - which type of glue would be the most suitable for glueing the top 2x4" together.

Also will the glue alone be enough to hold the laminated top together or should I biscuit as well (be good if I don't need to buy a biscuit jointer as well!)

With thanks

Grafter

A BJ is not essential but will help with aligning the boards to reduce planing after glue up. No reason why you couldn't use a good quality PVA for this. Something like Titebond II or III will be fine. You could use a PU like Gorilla, but it's messy and tricky.

Hi Grafter,

Welcome to the forum :)

I would use PVA glue. As far as biscuits are concerned, I would always use them or an alternative locating device. I feel that they do increase the strength of the joint considerably. Also, they help to ensure that the boards are nicely aligned - they can slip around quite a bit when they have glue on them and you tighten up the cramps and this can lead to a lot of planing to get the surface flat again.

If you don't have a biscuit jointer do you have a router? If you do, you could rout a few slots and make up a few loose tenons which would do a similar job to biscuits - something like this

Loosetenon.jpg

Any sort of wood would do for the loose tenons.

Another option would be to rout a continuous slot, stopping an inch or so from each end, and inserting a loose plywood tongue.

However, if you don't want to do any of these, a plain glued joint would work.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thank you all for the quick replies

I will get some decent PVA
and I will router a slot with plywood biscuit - great idea this!

Thanks for the advice

looking forward to start the building now!

Welcome to the forum. :)

PVA's probably the best way to go with this one. Only thing you might need to consider is the time of day and conditions you are gluing up in - if it's too cold, this can effect the PVA and it will dry 'white' instead of clear. :?

I'm planning a bench-build myself. "Cascamite" (urea formaldehyde) is the other glue I'm considering, since it doesn't have a tendency to creep, like PVA. But then, you have to mix it up - and mix the correct amount, while you're at it... Mix too much and you'll be throwing a lot of it away. Don't mix enough and you'll be frantically try to create some more before the first lot goes off! :shock: :)

So, yeah, stick with PVA. Polyureathane glues are great for exterior work but their curing time is probably a little too quick for something big and awkward like a bench top.

I really like the idea of using 6mm ply splines and that's what I intend to do with my bench top. Biscuits would be fine but, ply just seems a lot easier (and cheaper!). :wink:

Good luck with it and, remember; without work-in-progress photo's to go with your text, we have no evidence to believe that it has happened!! :D

Hi, if you visit a company called Directa in Essex (website found on Google), you could try their Bison Glue Range. Free delivery with orders over £15 8)

I'd agree with OPJ, in that PVA suffers from creep, and the long term movement issues of a work bench top might be just the situation where glue creep could become a problem.

The reduced open time of polyurethane glues is of course a potential issue, but if you're using splines or some other location mechanism then assembly and gluing-up should be pretty quick and stress free!

You could also buy a suitable 4mm slot cutting bit for your router and fit regular biscuits - Wealden Tools do a set specifically for this purpose, as do Axminster.

Joel.

custard":2b55aujy said:
I'd agree with OPJ, in that PVA suffers from creep, and the long term movement issues of a work bench top might be just the situation where glue creep could become a problem.

Where a mechanical device, such as splines, is included in the joint, I would be very surprised if creep would be an issue. I've always used PVA and never experienced the problem.

Paul

Paul Chapman":bzfqg5bl said:
custard":bzfqg5bl said:

Where a mechanical device, such as splines, is included in the joint, I would be very surprised if creep would be an issue. I've always used PVA and never experienced the problem.

Paul

As they say on The Simpsons, "Doh!" You are of course correct, splines are the ultimate antidote to creep!

Thanks all for the helpful info -
I have found a good deal on 4mm slot cutter at rutlands at the mo, so will get on of those and then use ply to connect with a bit of decent PVA. Hopefully should all go together easily!

On another note anybody else built a bob key bench - any big probs with the design (the link got hit by the spam filter but just search google for bob key workbench - its a pdf link)

Thanks
Matt

PVA is available in different grades a D3 grade PVA is supposedly more resistant to creep than a non D3 grade PVA.

My own preference for gluing up a top like that would be a UF resin such as cascamite, extramite or whatever they are calling it these days.

Jon

Back