Which wood for cupboards over shower?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1977

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm planning to install high level cupboards across the length of our bathroom and continue them over the shower. The ceiling is 2800 high so there's no problem with head height, and since these are intended for linen/ longer term storage they don't need to be low enough to be easily accessible.

Anyhoo, I'm wondering what would be the best material for these? Originally I was planning on simply getting some kitchen wall units made up from Lark & Larks, but worried about the chipboard getting wet from splashes and steam. I also thought it would look better to have a continuous surface to the soffit.

Would a nice marine ply be more suitable? Would a veneer be out of the question?

I'm at the planning stages so figured it would be best to ask rather than simply rush full steam ahead so to speak.

Any input valued as I'm just a DIY guy you know... :roll:

Hi MG1977, I would think that most woods will work, but need to be sealed against the moisture. I don't know how you would keep the moisture out, so as not to end up a musty or damp smell in the cabinets over time. Jamey

I guess if money were no object the external mdf accoya/tricoya (can't remember which is which ) would be 100% ideal and guaranteed not to swell. Downside is its about £115 a sheet for 18mm 8 x4 foot :lol:
I'd at least use moisture resistant mdf and ensure everywhere is primed, maybe even a couple coats just to be sure ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Could you route your hot water pipes through the cupboard with the linens on top and some ventilation gaps at the top to try and stop things getting musty?
To be honest I still have doubts about this whole idea of building over a shower. Maybe you could fit a sheet of perspex to close off the top of the cubicle?

I guess I was thinking how best to 1) hide the boiler flue which passes through the bathroom and B) best utilise the space to the high ceilings in a fairly small bathroom (1.9x2.2M excluding lobby)

I was planning to use an in-line extractor to extract from the area over the bath, I wonder if piping a branch to extract from the cupboard would help? Or maybe may it worse if it encourages damp air through the cupboard? Although the fan would be activated whenever the light is used, so those night time visits would also help keep the air fresh in the cupboard.

I was wondering if any of you have come across Timbertect timber seal? Or if there are other treatments that might help in this scenario...I'm sure I saw wooden baths somewhere?!?

Trying to avoid those wall panels at the moment...always feel they look at bit too 'residential home' for my tastes...hope that doesn't cause any offence... :oops:

Not really sure about budget...but was guessing if I had to buy units then they would probably be around £400. I've assumed 4no. 600x600x360d wall units + doors

If I'm making them then I'm guessing maybe under that?

Does that sound reasonable? :lol:

I think having cupboards over a shower, with all the steam (even if you have an extractor), will give you nothing but problems. I wouldn't do it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the comment Paul, but it doesn't really help now does it. I understand that there are problems, but what I'm asking is how to overcome them.

Unfortunately for my sins I do enjoy the challenge...and so I will persist for the time being in the hope that there is an expert out there who could assist with this DIY task.

I should clarify that although there is a shower installed, it is actually over a bath. The ceiling is at 2.8m and the bottom of the cupboard at 2.2m.

How about if these were cupboards on a boat? What about marine ply that decks are made with? Or are there special treatments that these undergo?

I'm no expert but surely the point of forums such as this is to push the boundaries a little and share expertise/techniques rather than adopt a 'well I don't know how therefore it can't be done' approach.

I like the tangential thinking that Busy Builder suggested, using an alternative material. I'm thinking maybe that Solid core laminate could be used for the soffit panel under 'regular' chipboard cupboards

The problem is the steam coming from the shower, it will affect material the cupboards are made from and the contents.

So the only way is not to have a shower, I am sorry if that's not what you want to hear but that's the crux of the problem, dampness in an enclosed space will result in mould which causes health problems.

So unless someone can come up with a miracle cure for condensation you are stuck.

Don't criticise us for not solving your problem.

Pete

Sorry if I sounded overly critical earlier Pete...I understand what you're saying and I'm just trying to reframe the problem in a more positive way.

So your primary concern is dampness. What if I could seal the cupboard doors with a compression seal and vent the cupboards through a branch connection to the extraction system. Does that sound reasonable? I know it sounds as though I'm making it overly complex, but we have to try to be clever with the space we have available when living in a flat.

If it helps, there is also a boiler flue running through these cupboards...in fact the cupboards arise from the need to box in the flue and yet retain access to flue joints for inspection. The flue will be an indirect source of a little warmth.

This is all a blank canvas at the moment...the bathroom is a shell.

I have faith that inspiration will come to someone...even if it eludes me at the moment!! \:D/

oh and yes I do really appreciate input and advice...I just don't always take it in the form that it is given...hope that's taken in the spirit of collaborative problem solving it was intended to be. #-o

Latest posts

Back