which way should I turn?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been given this really nice bit of wood and I don't want to wreck it!
I think he said it is off a conifer? tons of crotch wood (yes she has been reading a book!) one side that I want to make use of, but not sure of the best way.

Just a big nice bowl turned end grain with it on the bottom would be easiest I suppose but would it be better to cut it up and use it in two thinner tall cross grain> OR natural edge tulip vases? not sure if it is deep enough ooh. giz a clue :-k

[img=http://m1.freeshare.us/161fs734063_th.jpg]

[img=http://m1.freeshare.us/161fs734145_th.jpg]

[img=http://m1.freeshare.us/161fs734273_th.jpg]

Watcha' Mrs S.

I'm guessing that is a 10p piece so it is not a BIG piece of wood, not an easy piece to turn and finish easily. Assuming it's still wet you need to turn it very VERY thin and even, if you want to use the piece as it is.

What I would do is mount between centers, turn a spigot to fit you chuck jaws, and roughly shape to outside of the bowl.

Mount in the chuck, re-turn the outside by back cutting cause it won't be running 100% true.

Once true and a nice shape begin to remove the inside. When taking out the inside just work in from the edge about 1 - 1 1/2" getting that bit of the side thin and even, sand the outside and the little bit you have done inside. Then turn some more away working towards the centre in short steps of about a inch or so, sanding to finish as you go.

Once you have removed all the inside, reverse chuck and take off the spigot and undercutting the foot to get it as thin as possible.

Once you have done that leave it aside in a cool draught free place and it should dry in a few days. When dry lightly sand and oil, continue with this for about 2 - 3 coats sanding between. The more coats of oil the better the shine, it's up to you.

If you don't turn it thin, it WILL crack! :twisted:

Good luck 8)

Sorry to say Mrs.S. but conifer crotch is very contagious and will affect you and your tools for a long time,luckily i am a licensed disposer of the said wood so if you send it to me without further delay i can safely dispose of it free of charge. :roll:

A couple of hours ago Kevin that would have sounded like a good idea!!
I could have thrown it to sunderland :x

Had a 'few' problems wiv it, but it is a superb looking bit of wood, I will keep at it!! :D

Followed your advise TEP but ......

A, yes it was still wet and I could have done with windscreen wipers on my visor!

B, It was too big to mount between centers on our lathe.

C, we don't have any mechanical saws to cut owt that big so it was down to the hand saw (wet crotch wood .. oh my blisters!)

D, while struggling through 'chopping lumps off' (I encountered a few screws hidden away.

E, a chunk dropped out of the edge, and it was a lot smaller than I thought to start with

and 6, all that took so long I couldn't get past hollowing past the first 2 inch! but I did hollow a hole to close to the bottom to relive stress, and have left it in the garden under cover for the night so it will be cold and quite damp... hope it will be okay!!?

Things went okay once on the lathe ... for a while. right near the bottom i found a screw head. and I understand how that got in there, but along with it was a fair bit of earth and a small stone. does this happen often? I tried to dig the screw head out but it was too rusty and now i just have a hole, two little stones and a pile of rust and soil! :evil:

I am now drying the pot out and will see if any of it can be saved.

Mrs S, from your opening statement I have been trying to come up with some constructive comments.
I have been given this really nice bit of wood and I don't want to wreck it! I think he said it is off a conifer?
I viewed those two statements to be as near an oxymoron as no matter in our light hearted world.
I find that very few quick growing 'garden' conifers give rewarding timber for turning, but your tenacity is to be admired and at least you will be learning more about handling and working wood than you realise during all the frustration.

When the piece has dried out, I suggest you blatantly fill the voids created by your mining session (in built Yorkshire habit I suppose) with something like fine coffee grounds soaked in CA glue, it will be almost indistinguishable from a bark or knot inclusion, and finish as normal.

If the piece seems too rustic after all I might suggest something that I saw recently, similar pieces made from lelandii that had been soaked in a fence preservative and used as outdoor receptacles, these were at least 2 years old and supporting a lovely display of violas on a patio wall.

Cheers Chas. I had no idea what conifer was like to turn, all I knew was it beautifully coloured and free (sounding like Bodrigh! .. sorry pete!)
It was cut for me by a chap who says he did wood turning a while back and this piece would be good ..... hmmm! well it was well cut for interesting patterns, but turning it has been ... an experience :roll:

Just admiration Pete! you are doing now exactly what I am aiming for! :mrgreen: Working with fully recycled wood, I just need a lot of learning, more suitable equipment (mainly a chain saw and bigger band saw) and sorting sources to get to where you are! =D>

Until then I need to buy wood to make stuff to sell to make cash to buy them ... but hey .. I've made a start! and i DO have a master plan :-k

My main sources of fancy wood are a builder and a furniture restorer. Other wood I get from the woods near me, hedge trimminhs for smaller stuff and people who ask me if I want nay. I never say no as we also have a wood burner so if it's useless for turning I can burn it. Only exception is a willow log someone gave me which started sprouting so that I've skinned and planted.

The added advantage is that if you make a mess as I frequently do, it hasn't cost you anything. The disadvantage is that you don't always know what wood you are working on so youhave to be a bit careful dust wise.

Pete

Chas - quick growing garden conifers do sometimes produce decent wood (or at least decent looking wood). Some Leylandii I turned is quite stunning to look at - https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 8242#88242

It has rippling, spalting and lots of knots. It also has a pleasant pine smell whilst turning. Hard to get a decent finish on it though.

Mrs S - you asked how often stone and earth inclusions happen. I've had earth in yew quite often. I also once came across an air rifle pellet in some chestnut.

Duncan

Back