which variety of wood is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Been cutting a load of pallets up for my xmas fire store.

I came across this wood which I've never seen before.
palletwood.jpg

as you can see its a kind of salmon colour.

Initially I thought it might be treated with something?

but the colour goes all the way through. Treated softwood is normally the colour of the treatment about 5mm deep.

Any suggestions as to what it is?

Regards, Andrew

That's easy....... Pallet wood :lol:

In fact I have not got a clue, could be a scaffold board. You really need to clean a bit up to show a face side to even hazard a guess.

Mick

The old method of wood identification, look-taste-smell-colour.

In this instance pallet materials can be anything just like the battens you get on the lorries delivering the timber. The grain can flip and be the hardest stuff to machine.

But without any dressed look or other inkling I could write loads of alternatives, let the game begin

Well done Andrew, you've already managed to ascertain it's not softwood.
As to which hardwood it is, that's anyones guess, you get all sorts used in the construction of pallets

Hi all

My camera is lost so I can't take a photo.

The marking on the Pallet has SZ which is the country code for Swaziland so it might not be Brazillian Cherry. It is quite soft - sure its not a hardwood.

On the fire it goes!!

Cheers, Andrew

Soft or hard do not define wear ability. Take Cherry or Red Merranti or Ceder, first two Hard and the last a Soft. Soft and Hard are more to do with the tree type Soft-(Fir or Spruce or pine) and Hard-(Oak-Ash-Exotic etc)

Could be some African exotic that we never heard off.

Back